Sign in to follow this  
Wilfrid

Uses of Feta

In the old country many people would eat feta with watermelon. Not a personal favorite but I guess it can work.

watermelon granita with a feta spuma would be exciting in the early 2000's 

I had grilled watermelon with feta at minibar the week it opened, I’m sure he stole it from el bulli.

• Like 1

What’s not to love about being in line behind several cheese curious couples sampling everything in the store before buying they don’t know what for their dinner party?

:scarred:

I am trying to imagine feta with watermelon.

Really, you’ve never had it?? It’s delicious. I make a watermelon feta salad with red onion, champagne vinegar, jalapeños, mint, or some green. I make it several times a summer, serve it with lamb. I thought it was super common. I know you have too much feta but when you run out, buy Meredith farm feta in a glass jar. It’s so damn good. Too creamy for a Salad but eat it out of the jar

• Like 1

Really, you’ve never had it?? It’s delicious. I make a watermelon feta salad with red onion, champagne vinegar, jalapeños, mint, or some green. I make it several times a summer, serve it with lamb. I thought it was super common. I know you have too much feta but when you run out, buy Meredith farm feta in a glass jar. It’s so damn good. Too creamy for a Salad but eat it out of the jar

I like and make that salad as well.  I don't know if that's the same stuff in a jar I've tried (from Australia, and I bought it at Formaggio Essex); really great.

And after eating the feta in that jar, I cut up some other feta I had, put it in the jar and kept it in there to marinate for a few days - wasn't as good as the original, but not bad at all.

The only place to buy Feta is in Europe (especially in the southwest quadrant of Athens)and the only place to buy watermelon is Spain (especially just north of Valencia)l. So unless one is willing to import those products directly, it's just a waste of time and energy.

And to add, it's grossly overpriced here.

I like and make that salad as well. I don't know if that's the same stuff in a jar I've tried (from Australia, and I bought it at Formaggio Essex); really great.

And after eating the feta in that jar, I cut up some other feta I had, put it in the jar and kept it in there to marinate for a few days - wasn't as good as the original, but not bad at all.

That’s the one

• Like 1

Peekamoose Restaurant in Ulster County serves pressed watermelon with feta and cilantro. It’s excellent.

• Like 1

Be sure to include some minced mint in the watermelon-feta salad.  Just reading the words is making me long for summer.

• Like 1

What’s not to love about being in line behind several cheese curious couples sampling everything in the store before buying they don’t know what for their dinner party?

:scarred:

were they German? 

Please permit me to intrude to retell this anecdote.

I'm at the Greenmarket one Saturday morning.  In order to get the best stuff, I get up early and throw on some clothes and run out, before I've had any coffee.  So I'm always pretty eager to get back home, and very far from my least cranky.

I'm on the duck line.  The guy before me, having purchased his duck, is continuing a very extended discussion with the salesguy about various duck-related matters (displaying a minimal amount of knowledge on the part of the customer:  clearly he's not some duck enthusiast eager for informed discussion but rather someone who makes it a point to "get to know the farmers").

After about five minutes of this, I finally cut in and say, "Would I be able to make a quick purchase?"

The guy in front of me mutters, "Different line styles."

• Like 1