"Lockdown" has meant different things in different places, hasn't it? New York is liberty hall compared with Italy.

Visiting grandma in the time of the virus... she sat on the deck and we sat on the lawn. We brought our own food and utensils. Never the twain shall meet. We hadn't seen her in person since February and there's only so much Facetime you can do. On plus side, it was a gorgeous day to be outside and we had an opportunity to play some soccer in the yard. And there was absolutely no traffic at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel!

First drink at a bar in 69 days. Open air Table Green in Battery Park.

• Like 2

And today is the 70th day since the bars closed. Not that I'm counting.

One of things happening during The Quarantine (as readers of my newsletter well know) is that there is this panoply of performances being live-streamed from people's apartments.  One I saw was by the conductor Alan Pierson.   As the performance went on, it became apparent that he lived across the street from me.  Finally, there was a shot through one of his windows -- looking directly at my own living-room and dining-room windows.  I couldn't help but think that it was lucky for everyone involved that it was not shot while I was watering my living-room-window plants without any clothes on (as one does).

Which brings me to dinner tonight.  I eat facing a dining-room window looking out in a different direction than the one across from Alan's apartment.  I had never noticed this before, but there's an attractive young woman across that street who likes to walk around in her underwear.  It provided a distraction from my questionable cooking, at least.

I only very recently figured out from one of your posts that you’ve given up lawyering to become a freelance writer!  Congratulations!  

12 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I couldn't help but think that it was lucky for everyone involved that it was not shot while I was watering my living-room-window plants without any clothes on (as one does).

Actually, I almost wish I hadn't even read this.

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

Actually, I almost wish I hadn't even read this.

Or as my mother used to admonish, be careful what you put into your head.   It will be with you always.

• Like 1

My mom's 90-something-year old aunt lives in a personal care home in Maryland. A couple of the residents had Covid-19, so her daughter, against everyone else's wishes, took my great-aunt out of the home a couple of weeks ago.

A couple of days ago, my mom's cousin was found dead in her apartment. My great-aunt, who is bed-ridden, could not contact anyone, and hadn't realized her daughter had died. She had no idea what was going on, only that she was seemingly alone, hungry, and frightened.

In an O. Henry-esque twist, my mom's cousin had Covid-19, which she thought was "just a bad cold." No word about whether my great-aunt is also infected. So far we're assuming she's ok, other than perhaps emotionally.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:01 PM, Sneakeater said:

Which brings me to dinner tonight.  I eat facing a dining-room window looking out in a different direction than the one across from Alan's apartment.  I had never noticed this before, but there's an attractive young woman across that street who likes to walk around in her underwear.  It provided a distraction from my questionable cooking, at least.

Years ago, a friend was walking down 7th Ave. in Park Slope with her then-five-year-old son.  When they got to Methodist Hospital, there was a huge commotion.  A woman in labor hadn't quite made it in -- and, surrounded by frantic medical personnel, was giving birth on the sidewalk.

My friend's son was transfixed.  Shouting!  Blood!  And at the end . . . a baby!  It was the greatest thing he'd ever seen.

Every day for the next week, he dragged my friend back to the sidewalk in front of the hospital, expecting to see that again.  Eventually he realized that just because something you enjoyed happened somewhere once, it doesn't mean it's going to happen there again.

It's a valuable lesson.

I lost touch with them after they moved to the Midwest.  Wouldn't it be great if the boy grew up to be an obstetrician?

The one nice thing that has come out of the virus is they've closed West End Avenue up where I live. Every evening at about 5:30, after work and school is done there are bunch of families in my building that come out and hang. There are several kids who are my son's age so they run around, play scooter tag (or a variation my son calls Virus tag) which the adults chat and drink.