• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder if they'll go back to claiming they're gluten intolerant after this. 

(Without wanting to get too political [BULLSHIT], it is emblematic of the disgusting, repugnant, sociopathic, and affirmatively evil anti-communitarian hyper-individualist Ayn Rand-loving [and hell, w

Posted Images

Our local school (NJ burbs) released the plan for fall, 2 days a week in school, Wednesday everyone remote, and then I guess the other 2 days a miracle occurs and 7 years olds manage to learn something without adult help?

On 7/15/2020 at 9:48 AM, joethefoodie said:

I guess everyone is trying to do their part for herd immunity! 

The videos from Astoria sure support that, or at least the herd part.

In my neck of the woods, we were down to 1 active infection and 13 days of no new infections when some folks from a Hutterite colony decided to go to a neighboring province for a funeral. Now we have 6 active infections, 5 of which are from the Hutterite colony.    

Even with the increase in infections, maybe 50% or fewer people wear masks when they go out. I wear one sometimes, but sometimes not. My mother has been in hospital since yesterday, and the hospital is not enforcing mask wearing among visitors, patients, or staff. 

Eta- we actually have 11 active cases, 6 of which are from the Hutterite colony. And most of the rest are truckers or their family members. I guess i must have missed a few announcements.

Israel's spectacularly botched reopening attempt follows a very successful but intolerable lockdown. At least they keep great track of where infections occurred since the reopening:

67% at home
10% at school
6% at a public event
5% in a place of worship
4% recreational activities (mostly indoors)
2% office

and various others at 1% or less

The obvious conclusion is to lock everyone out of their homes!

Now rt.live has NJ below 1 and in fact below 1 since April 1. Orik have you written anything up about the problems with their fitting? Seems like one huge issue is violation of the single population assumption when states have very different infection levels. 

On 7/19/2020 at 10:23 AM, Orik said:

Israel's spectacularly botched reopening attempt follows a very successful but intolerable lockdown. At least they keep great track of where infections occurred since the reopening:

67% at home
10% at school
6% at a public event
5% in a place of worship
4% recreational activities (mostly indoors)
2% office

and various others at 1% or less

The obvious conclusion is to lock everyone out of their homes!

A few weeks back, Cuomo said most infections seem to be coming from homes. My best guess is people letting friends and family drop in, and of course not wearing masks in their own home.

Well if you think of it as a graph where the closer two nodes are together the more they infect each other due to duration and repetitions of exposure then clearly the home is going to look like an infectious clique. But someone has to bring the virus home and that comes from other infectious cliques (school, office, synagogue) or from a vast network of very distant connections who you meet at random. So clearly most infections will be inside the cliques but those are not the problem that lets a virus retain its endemic status as they're easy to trace and isolate.

On 7/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, bloviatrix said:

We went food shopping in Brooklyn on Sunday (Borough Park) and less than 10% of the people were wearing masks. It was basically the store staff, us, and a handful of other customers. It was appalling. Spouse was there in May and said back then everyone was wearing a mask and they were handing out gloves when you enter. Needless to say, we won't be going back.

This morning we learned that that the Monsey branch of the store has been shut down for mask violations.

Like Gaul, SoCal is divided into three parts.  The faithful stay home and only venture out with masks for provisions.  The rebels don't wear masks that much and will go anywhere for a lark.  The tweeners mostly wear masks but will get nails or haircuts or party with friends on the dl.  Is this going to work?

6 hours ago, hollywood said:

Like Gaul, SoCal is divided into three parts.  The faithful stay home and only venture out with masks for provisions.  The rebels don't wear masks that much and will go anywhere for a lark.  The tweeners mostly wear masks but will get nails or haircuts or party with friends on the dl.  Is this going to work?

I ain't no Fauci, but...

• Thanks 1
On 7/5/2020 at 12:12 AM, Steve R. said:

Does their error affect its internal consistency as well as just being somewhat inflated?  Given that the infection count has remained pretty constant but this chart’s Transmission Rate measurement for NY has regularly climbed from the under 1.0 when I first posted it a week ago I remain concerned.  I’m guessing that watching the hospitalization rate is the best indicator but....

To answer your question:

image.thumb.png.7390b1dc712aa2a03ffac415581e06b4.png

Long Island remains worrisome, of course.