The 171-year-old Tadich Grill, the oldest restaurant in SF and certainly one of the oldest in the country, is indefinitely closed until indoor dining is fully allowed again, having run out of money (including their loan) and unable to sustain themselves with takeout.  There's no room on the sidewalk by them for outdoor dining, and since they're in the heart of the Financial District basically no foot traffic either.  They're determined to reopen when they can.  I'm really, really hoping they do.

• Like 1
  • Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder if they'll go back to claiming they're gluten intolerant after this. 

(Without wanting to get too political [BULLSHIT], it is emblematic of the disgusting, repugnant, sociopathic, and affirmatively evil anti-communitarian hyper-individualist Ayn Rand-loving [and hell, w

Posted Images

This week infections in nyc probably rose by about 3%, breaking the 3% weekly decline trend of the past 2 months. Since the waves of incoming traffic will keep increasing in size until labor day, it's reasonable to assume a 15% increase in infections by then. Of course if they then reopen schools and push more people back to work then all bets are off. 

• 3 weeks later...

In a day or two, we'll have our first dinner guests since March. That was the night a couple of lighting-designer friends came over right after Broadway's shutdown announcement. My last indoor food-shopping was at opening time a day or two later, in a Union Market. I felt like I was buying the last baby spinach of civilization. One of Union Market's owners lives in our building. At the time I imagined him stockpiling smoked fish in his living room, for Armageddon.

Now it'll be two good friends and their visiting family member. The friends are as careful as anyone we respect. We'll be spending all our time together on our deck, adding a folding table to our six-foot iron* table. I'll bring up delivery from the lobby (a sixteen-floor stomp, since I avoid elevators) and they'll use our guest bathroom, which I'll disinfect before they come and will clean three days later. Not sure what to do about plates/glasses -- we have paper, but it's windy out there. Maybe I'll take dinnerware out of the dishwasher with my mask and gloves on. Normally, before a twenty-second* hand scrub, we transfer takeout onto our own plates, me handling the exterior and lovely spouse the interior (except for sushi, a replating lost cause).

It's much easier for me to imagine having friends over than visiting our friends, outside of the park, anyway, where we've had a couple of socially distanced picnics. Gotta start hosting before it gets too cold.

* OK, cast aluminum painted to look like iron.
** Timed by singing the mahna-mahna chorus once instead of "Happy Birthday" twice.

The orthodox schools are doing two weeks on two at home? Did someone tell me that?

We're morning in school, pm via zoom.  I guess they are worried about managing little kids eating socially distanced. I sort of get but it does mean if one kid gets it, were probably done 

I tested positive for antibodies twice back in July. I don't recall being particularly sick, although there were a few days in March that I felt feverish and coughed about  5 times.

The wife tested negative.  The boy had a negative Covid test two weeks ago after waking up with a 103 fever.

I almost got in a discussion with a "no worse than the flu" person on the Facebooks.  175,000 dead in 6 months, 1,000 dead a day and people still say it's no worse than the flu.  Mind-boggling.

By the way, anyone listen to This Week in Virology?  https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-655/   Great stuff.

25 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

The orthodox schools are doing two weeks on two at home? Did someone tell me that?

We're morning in school, pm via zoom.  I guess they are worried about managing little kids eating socially distanced. I sort of get but it does mean if one kid gets it, were probably done 

Most of the local modern orthodox elementary schools are doing 5 days/wk in school. High schools are doing different things. But the schools realized that, particularly for the younger kids in school education is preferable so they going to to try do it as long a possible.

Boy's school managed to dedensify by losing 100 kids (combination of natural attrition, accelerated attrition, and families who temporarily re-located) which is 20% of the student body, and renting out additional classroom space at a local synagogue for the 8th grade. They're also converting some of the specialty rooms back into classrooms. Each class will have no more than 15 kids - there are 45 kids in first grade so normally, where they would have 2 classes, this year they'll have 3. 

Regarding lunch - the kids are going to be eating in their classrooms instead of going to the cafeteria. They've attached to each desk some kind of plexiglass barrier that can be raised or lowered, so the kids will raise the barriers and take off their masks to eat. They've also decided that for time being we have to send lunch. One of the things we've loved is that for the past 4 years we didn't have to think about packing lunch since it was provided. That's the part i'm dreading (although my kid will be happy bringing pasta every single day).

The school has held a number of town halls for the parents and we've received frequent emails in advance of reopening so feeling about as comfortable as you can considering the situation.

2 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

Bob Fullilove is amazing. He's on our faculty and it's always a pleasure to hear him speak. ( the art in the background has distracted me on more than one occasion)

Yeah, he's my new hero.  His first 10 minutes was fascinating.  The rest was also pretty awesome.  Makes me feel that I've wasted my life.

1 hour ago, Stone said:

Yeah, he's my new hero.  His first 10 minutes was fascinating.  The rest was also pretty awesome.  Makes me feel that I've wasted my life.

You should check this out. The whole series is great, but he was the guest for one of the episodes.

https://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/public-health-now/publications/columbia-public-health-now-podcast

Our school (Public) is split cohorts 2/3 days per week in school, 5 hours with no lunch (but snack time...so bring a sandwich). Though considering the efforts the teachers unions are going to to prevent it from happening (on the local level, essentially encouraging as many as teachers as possible to ask for some sort of accomodations if leave) I'll believe it when she steps into class on September 8. On the other hand my littlest one's preschool is full steam ahead and unless Murphy shuts the schools completely I imagine it will happen

Having taught elementary school for a couple of years, I can say with certainty that I would NEVER, EVER, EVER step into a classroom during Covid.  Nor could I with conscience ask someone else to do so.   Little people infringe on one's personal space and or need personal attention that intrudes into theirs.   I have never been so frequently sick as I was during those years of close contact with those mobile petri dishes.    Putting children in classrooms makes sense re their socialization, but is simply bad public health.