my kid's public school has kind of admitted that they can't figure out how to do it yet, and it seems like the 70% of parents who signed up to send their kids to school half the time will have them at home for the foreseeable future. that 70% figure seems low to me, we only know one other family that's doing full remote. the rumor is only 30% of the faculty is willing to teach, and the administration didn't ask the teachers about it until last week.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As of Sunday, fully vaccinated with Pfizer.  Yesterday, a had a sore, arm, headache and low fever.  Today, I'm fine.

I wonder if they'll go back to claiming they're gluten intolerant after this. 

Posted Images

20 hours ago, voyager said:

Having taught elementary school for a couple of years, I can say with certainty that I would NEVER, EVER, EVER step into a classroom during Covid.  Nor could I with conscience ask someone else to do so.   Little people infringe on one's personal space and or need personal attention that intrudes into theirs.   I have never been so frequently sick as I was during those years of close contact with those mobile petri dishes.    Putting children in classrooms makes sense re their socialization, but is simply bad public health.   

At this point it seems more like a mathematical question. With 8-10 kids in a class and essentially zero interaction with anyone else in the school, and case rate in NJ fairly low, the math works out pretty well even if the kids weren't required to wear masks and sit at separated desks. Sort of surprised no districts that I know of are opening just elementary and leaving ms/hs remote. 

Network news daily reports Covid infections contracted at family/friend "barbeques".    I can't remember when I last attended a "barbeque".    A dinner partially cooked on a grill, yes, but a "barbeque"?  Is this a societal phenomenon?   

5 hours ago, hollywood said:

Apparently, there is a refrigerator shortage.  I guess folks are staying in more, buying in bulk and freezing leftovers.  So a common response is you can't get a new one before October.  Naturally, people with 2 frigs are feeling cool.

I ordered a new fridge end of July. Was told it will arrive by end of September. Same for stove and even longer for the dishwasher.  None of it fancy or custom made. 

The last used fridge in my life came with the kind of pets you never have to feed or water, since they took care of that themselves. I'll never forget the one crawling out of the pepper mill. Or the one I found sandwiched in the filtering membrane of the Brita tank, when I eventually got around to replacing its cartridge.