The Specialty Coffee Association already decided to postpone the 2021 Expo, originally scheduled for the last weekend of April in New Orleans, to the end of September/beginning of October.  At least I won't have to fight the JazzFest crowds (though I'd definitely wanted to attend some of the concerts), and it doesn't clash with the High Holidays which are early next year.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder if they'll go back to claiming they're gluten intolerant after this. 

(Without wanting to get too political [BULLSHIT], it is emblematic of the disgusting, repugnant, sociopathic, and affirmatively evil anti-communitarian hyper-individualist Ayn Rand-loving [and hell, w

Posted Images

Over the past week we've had people we know talk about how great it was going to synagogue in Brooklyn where no one was wearing a mask and seen photos of others we know at an indoor birthday party with no masks. Both of these folks have kids who go to my son's school, albeit not his grade. If this is what they're saying publicly I'm terrified of how much worse their behavior than what they disclose. I won't be surprised if his school is shut down by mid October - two weeks after the Jewish holidays end.

I'm livid and seriously considering on narcing them to the school administration.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:48 AM, bloviatrix said:

Over the past week we've had people we know talk about how great it was going to synagogue in Brooklyn where no one was wearing a mask and seen photos of others we know at an indoor birthday party with no masks. Both of these folks have kids who go to my son's school, albeit not his grade. If this is what they're saying publicly I'm terrified of how much worse their behavior than what they disclose. I won't be surprised if his school is shut down by mid October - two weeks after the Jewish holidays end.

I'm livid and seriously considering on narcing them to the school administration.

There is a debate at my kids preschool (in a reform shul that is not holding in person services for high holidays) if kids who go to orthodox shuls (which are) should have to quarantine post holidays. 

1 hour ago, Tubbs said:

There is a debate at my kids preschool (in a reform shul that is not holding in person services for high holidays) if kids who go to orthodox shuls (which are) should have to quarantine post holidays. 

Different synagogues are doing different things. Of the two we're members of, the one we're not attending (and has has many COVID- and Mask-skeptics) is mostly doing services inside with a single small service in the sukkah. We've decided to go to the one that received the permit from the city to close off the street and is putting up a large marquee to hold everything outdoors.

Meanwhile, one of the local high schools has 4 confirmed cases with a number of tests pending. They're closed and we received an email from the school today saying that any kids who have siblings in that school have to stay home attend class via Zoom until further notice. I actually witnessed the head of school having a conversation with a mom this morning telling her to take her kid home.

• 2 weeks later...

Answering a question about Trick or Treat on "Nextdoor", someone reported that they were constructing a slide to send out candy.

BUT what kind of parent wants/lets their child accept candy in a pandemic?    Dress up at home; carve a pumpkin; have chocolate for dinner.

There's not much likelihood of catching covid from wrapped candy(?) 

Numbers here ticked up when people came back from holiday, but now are below 50 per 100k again. Mostly increases seem to come from people being close indoors without masks. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with Behemoth.  Rather than answering the door and doling out candy, we plan to put a nicely decorated basket at the top of the steps and add candy, hoping that the kids will abide by the honor system and just take 1 piece.  (Though to potentially thwart that, we'll only put a little bit out at a time.) The candy is individually wrapped, and we'll fill the basket directly from the candy bag so that we never touch it.  We can even wear masks when filling the basket, so as not to breathe on the candy (and in case someone comes up the steps as we're doing so.

It will be up to the parents as to whether to let the kids go out.  My sister, the super-careful mask wearer, is letting the boy trick or treat.

11 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

you thought you could get away with something that says calculus is boring with this crowd? 

In high school our son used to break up his homework with calculus which he found recreational.