2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

In this case however, much easier getting on the phone and being on hold for 5 minutes.

The hold time in NJ is upwards of 45:00, which is when my dad gave up. I'm glad you got your shot. I can stand to lay low and wait, since I've (finally) gotten the go-ahead to continue working remotely.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As of Sunday, fully vaccinated with Pfizer.  Yesterday, a had a sore, arm, headache and low fever.  Today, I'm fine.

I wonder if they'll go back to claiming they're gluten intolerant after this. 

Posted Images

Just to be clear, I don't foresee getting the shot to change much of how I've (and we've) been living these past 10 (or so) months. At least not until a couple hundred million doses have been administered. As Significant Eater said, once she gets the shots, it'll enable us to visit her parents. For some reason, I don't seem to be in as much of a rush as she.

11 hours ago, small h said:

My parents (75 and 78) have been trying to get an appointment for a while with no luck. What my dad described sounded like me trying to get concert tickets - keep a bunch of browser windows open and refresh refresh refresh.

Yeah. The frustrating thing is that, unlike concert tickets, when an appointment pops up it's not held for you while you put your data in, so it's a race to quickly get everything in (be sure google autofill is on). My one success came when I had two dates pop up, I chose the one further away as I figured everyone else who refreshed at the same time would choose the sooner one.  I emailed them to recommend changing to a ticketmaster-like system (ie, once a date pops up you can hold it for a minute while you type data in) though I'm sure nothing will change. 

One other option I heard is the HS in Paterson (200 Grand) is walk-in vaccine. Line up at 7 in the morning or so. 

Holy Name in teaneck has a new site (rodda.holyname.org) that has no vaccine at the moment, but when they get some they open up 1-2 days at a time, so at least you're not booking a month away. 

16 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

IDK if posted this before. My favorite Pfizer thing is that "Must be held at -75C" thing. Pfizer knows it needs to be cold, but doesn't actually know how cold or for how long. Data suggests its probably materially warmer, but there has been not time for tests to figure that out.   So where does the -75c thing come from? Turns out -80 c is as cold as a lab freezer goes on traditional chemistry and there had been a campaign to turn the freezers up tp -70 as a best practice from an energy efficiency perspective. So -75c is the average of the two!

In Siberia it's considered to be a shelf stable product. 

image.png.d8bb160e20bcc38bf5268739e7489bce.png

• Like 1
23 hours ago, small h said:

My parents (75 and 78) have been trying to get an appointment for a while with no luck. What my dad described sounded like me trying to get concert tickets - keep a bunch of browser windows open and refresh refresh refresh.

My parents' original appointment was in Hackensack too.

3 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

My parents' original appointment was in Hackensack too.

I'm pretty sure my parents are trying to get appointments at Jersey Shore Medical (the other Hackensack Meridian hospital), 'cause they're in Monmouth County. Now my mother is threatening to stalk CVS, although CVS doesn't even have the vaccine yet.

Israeli healthcare providers released some initial data on vaccine effectiveness - from comparing 400,000 vaccinated patients to a similar group of unvaccinated ones, infection and symptom rates are cut in half 13 days from the first shot. This is not great news in terms of effectiveness (at least for older individuals who are the majority of the group) but it does mean the vaccine is as effective at preventing infections (and therefore transmission) as it is at preventing symptoms. 

On 1/19/2021 at 4:11 PM, small h said:

I'm pretty sure my parents are trying to get appointments at Jersey Shore Medical (the other Hackensack Meridian hospital), 'cause they're in Monmouth County. Now my mother is threatening to stalk CVS, although CVS doesn't even have the vaccine yet.

My folks are set at Bayshore Hospital now, thank goodness.

While husband and I are set up with vaccine appointments, I'm not sure how much our lives will change afterwards.    Those vaccinated may well be able to transmit virus to others, ergo will not be embracing family members or entertain unvaccinated friends, will need desirable restaurants return to some kind of normal, travel remains iffy.    So...looks a lot like 2020 same old, same old.  

2 hours ago, StephanieL said:

My folks are set at Bayshore Hospital now, thank goodness.

That's good. I'll be very relieved when my parents are squared away, vaccine-wise.