• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As of Sunday, fully vaccinated with Pfizer.  Yesterday, a had a sore, arm, headache and low fever.  Today, I'm fine.

I wonder if they'll go back to claiming they're gluten intolerant after this. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Anthony Bonner said:

I think thats the thing is this now a regular "I worry about things" or "I worry about this thing"

That’s not fair. I was moving around the city, taking precautions, in days of 2020 when a lot of people on Mouthfuls were locked indoors getting food parcels. For many months.

I am not suddenly a worrier. I am someone who is struggling to flip from avoid it at all costs or you will die in a corridor of the Javits and be thrown into a mass grave to, so what it’s like a head cold.

I think it's more layered than worrying or not worrying.  If I had not yielded to nagging about my persistent cough, I would not have been looked at and been diagnosed, etc.  I felt I had reason to be less cautious having been vaxxed and boosted.  That was a clear mistake.  It can be more than a head cold. Take care.

I think the point is, it's not binary.

There's a lot of space between testing constantly, watching your symptoms, and taking them seriously on the one hand, and never leaving your apartment on the other.

The point isn't to ignore reality.  It's not to overreact.

21 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

To put it bluntly, if I looked at the risk of driving the way some people look at the risk of COVID, I'd never get in a car.

Well again, no, risk of (serious) car crash is less than 0.5%. Getting in a car is really safe.

The question (I believe) which really needs answering is: does getting omicron confer immunity against Sars-CoV-2?

We can only mitigate (just as when driving a car) what we do and how well we do that; we can not mitigate what the other driver (or person who might be infectious) is doing and/or might do.

I (like Wilf) don't believe it's just as simple as a head cold; people are still dying from this shit, and if it's you or me, that won't be good.

7 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Well again, no, risk of (serious) car crash is less than 0.5%. Getting in a car is really safe.

Washington State publishes decent data - the Vax rate there is roughly 80%. 900 vaxxed people died with Covid in 2021 (obviously no data about co-morbidities) 577 people there died  in Car accidents.  So its not a magnitude difference. And if you believe Omicron is less deadly the math looks even closer.

3 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

We can only mitigate (just as when driving a car) what we do and how well we do that; we can not mitigate what the other driver (or person who might be infectious) is doing and/or might do.

....people are still dying from this shit, and if it's you or me, that won't be good.

Both well said.   The difference between public health and personal health can be enormous.    Statistics are useful in public health but of little pertinence if/when you personally are on an end of the bell curve.  

2 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

Washington State publishes decent data - the Vax rate there is roughly 80%. 900 vaxxed people died with Covid in 2021 (obviously no data about co-morbidities) 577 people there died  in Car accidents.  So its not a magnitude difference. And if you believe Omicron is less deadly the math looks even closer.

Stay home and avoid both, live forever!