Shit. I don't know which is worse, the heavy costs of private health care, or the long waits for certain procedures with socialized health care.      

But, for example, my mother is taking imatinib (but a generic brand) right now. She's only on half the regular dose to see how she reacts to it, but that half dose is more than CAD$300/month. Where I live, it's completely free because all cancer treatment is free (including psychotherapy!). I can't imagine how much the same medication would cost in the US. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As of Sunday, fully vaccinated with Pfizer.  Yesterday, a had a sore, arm, headache and low fever.  Today, I'm fine.

I wonder if they'll go back to claiming they're gluten intolerant after this. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, prasantrin said:

. I can't imagine how much the same medication would cost in the US. 

I can tell you (what it would cost with our current plan)...

Drug: Imatinib Mesylate 100mg Tablet

Day Supply: 30

Total Quantity: 90.0

Your Cost  $118.63

Annual: $1,423.56

AND:

Drug: Imatinib Mesylate 400mg Tablet

Day Supply: 30

Total Quantity: 30.0

Your Cost   $136.20

Annual: $1,634.40

This plan also allows for mail order 90 day supplies, which again reduces the overall cost.

But what if you don't have health insurance?

The $300 cost is for a 30-day supply if you don't have any supplemental health insurance (which many people in Canada don't). Actually, i think i was wrong, and it's for a 30-day of 200mg/day. A full dose is 400mg, but she's only on a half dose. But the pills are in 100mg doses.

Does anyone find GoodRx a solution for some of these outrageous pricings?     We have Medicare D (prescription drug) coverage but I always ask the pharmacist to run the prescription through Good Rx, and often find it cheaper than my insurance cost.   

Good Rx is free to join, but you really don't need to, at least here, since the pharmacist can wave their house card at the computer and find and GIVE you the Good Rx price.   

Google Good Rx.    It is an amazing business model.

55 minutes ago, prasantrin said:

But what if you don't have health insurance?

The $300 cost is for a 30-day supply if you don't have any supplemental health insurance (which many people in Canada don't). Actually, i think i was wrong, and it's for a 30-day of 200mg/day. A full dose is 400mg, but she's only on a half dose. But the pills are in 100mg doses.

retail is about $30k for 90 400mg tablets and a coupon discount without insurance gets 90 for around $2-3k

Back to the insurance, and the (what I believe to be) scam of it all.

I got two EOBs in the mail yesterday; both Covid related, and both from stuff done at Gouverneur Hospital.

IMG_6308.thumb.jpeg.c4949f6de202975b38ff4ffaab3a81a6.jpeg

IMG_6309.thumb.jpeg.e4eb395f918efb8ec0a5f17d3d4f705c.jpeg

The first one, dated 11/5, is for the vaccination booster.  

The second one is for a PCR test.

Someone is getting rich on this stuff.

5 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Back to the insurance, and the (what I believe to be) scam of it all.

I got two EOBs in the mail yesterday; both Covid related, and both from stuff done at Gouverneur Hospital.

IMG_6308.thumb.jpeg.c4949f6de202975b38ff4ffaab3a81a6.jpeg

IMG_6309.thumb.jpeg.e4eb395f918efb8ec0a5f17d3d4f705c.jpeg

The first one, dated 11/5, is for the vaccination booster.  

The second one is for a PCR test.

Someone is getting rich on this stuff.

the "free stuff" that's not actually free

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that today is the two year anniversary of New York's bars closing. I had my last drinks in McSorley's. Previously that week I had visited Dear Irving and Summit Bar and found them just about deserted already.

3 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I just noticed that today is the two year anniversary of New York's bars closing. I had my last drinks in McSorley's. Previously that week I had visited Dear Irving and Summit Bar and found them just about deserted already.

Last drink that week was at Landmark Tavern. Tumbleweeds that early evening

We had the room to ourselves at Mayanoki. The last drink per se was the night before at Ko - an old fashioned iirc. 

And here we are, week one of wave six.