Both of us have had 3rd booster.    No reaction, similar to first 2.    All 3 were Pfizer.    We would have mixed it up but took what was available.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As of Sunday, fully vaccinated with Pfizer.  Yesterday, a had a sore, arm, headache and low fever.  Today, I'm fine.

I wonder if they'll go back to claiming they're gluten intolerant after this. 

Posted Images

I have had three Pfizer boosters. Probably described it up thread, but I had arm pain the second day, otherwise less fuzzy head than the first two.

But I have the strong impression this isn’t predictive for anyone else.

Thanks Voyager and Wilf. I had really hoped to wait until the Fall. But no choice this time. I did a bit of reading about the bivalent versions. And it seems they are not all that much better than the monovalent versions. Seems like going forward the boosters will be a lot like flu shots. A crap shoot on whether or not they actually guess which strain(s) will become dominant. I was considering doing the mix and match. But think I will stick with the "devil I know"-Pfizer.

• Like 1

A friend did a short vacation trip with some buddies. They have all tested positive but she was negative. She doesn't believe it and is going back for another test.

My fear is I will catch it while traveling. If I was on my own, that would be manageable. But being with the team, staff and administrators on a set schedule getting sick would be a nightmare. I feel like it's inevitable that someone will be 'Typhoid Mary' for the travel party. I most definitely don't want it to be me. Nor do I want to get sick at the end of the trip and be stuck in a hotel for extra time. Not to mention how ugly expensive a short notice rebooking to get home would be. First time I can say I wish I wasn't going to Barcelona and Paris.

I caught the virus on the flight home from the National Championship. Why am I sure that's how I got i? No one else I was in close contact with got it. And--because my seatmate was dry coughing and leaning against the seat in front of her the whole 4 + hours on the plane. She came back from the bathroom, and told her husband the doctor was right. She shouldn't travel with covid. Showed her husband a thermometer. He replied "damn, 103!!!". Probably a miracle I didn't land in jail. Because I was more than ready to light into her (verbally at least). Sure enough 4 days later I tested positive 🤬🤬.

I didn't even realize that there was a third booster available to the public. Mrs. P and I received our 2nd Moderna booster shot last November before Thanksgiving. We were considering getting our third booster shot until I read an article in the NJ Record this morning saying how the latest BA.5 variant is making up the majority of new positive cases in NJ & NY (64%). The current booster shots are not made to protect you from the latest BA.5 variant. Moderna, Pfizer, and J&J are working on creating new vaccines to combat these latest strains but they probably won't be available to the public until October. Moderna announced that clinical trials of its new booster showed significantly better results against BA.4 and BA.5 compared with the current vaccine.

Below are some excerpts from the article. I think we might as well wait until they develop a booster shot to combat the latest BA.5 strain (although there probably be a new strain by then 😟).

The BA.5 subvariant made up 64% of all COVID variants in New Jersey and New York, where cases of severe illness and death have remained relatively stable for months, according to data released Tuesday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.

Scientists and public health officials have taken particular notice of BA.5 because it appears to be able to reinfect people very quickly and evade some protections offered by vaccines and boosters developed to deal with COVID’s original strain. Vaccine makers are developing a booster shot to deal specifically with BA.5 and other subvariants of omicron that have circulated for eight months.

“The COVID-19 virus keeps finding new ways to evade our immune system defenses,” said Dr. Jay Varma, director of the Cornell Center for Pandemic Prevention and Response in New York. BA.5 “is much better than previous variants at transmitting from one person to another and at bypassing our defenses against infection.”

Like many of the omicron variants, BA.5 has so far shown to evade some of the protections current vaccines offer — so much so that federal health officials have asked vaccine manufacturers to update their formula to address the newer variant.

The Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines were all developed to lessen the severity of the original COVID- 19 strain that emerged in the U.S. in late winter 2020.

But that strain has been long out of circulation and replaced by several mutated versions whose genetic makeup is slightly different, such as the delta variants that swept through the U.S. last summer.

“The transmissibility [of BA.5] is what separates it,” said Stephanie Silvera, an infectious disease expert at Montclair State University. “Anecdotally, we’re seeing people who were infected with omicron a month and a half ago and are now presenting new infections. That just wasn’t the case before.”

In June, a Food and Drug Administration panel recommended that drugmakers modify their booster shots to target the BA.4 and BA.5 variants with hopes of getting shots into arms by October.

On Monday, Moderna announced that clinical trials of its new booster showed significantly better results against BA.4 and BA.5 compared with the current vaccine.

As Evelyn already concluded, the difference in effectiveness between the bivalent vaccine and the existing one is not very impressive (75% more neutralizing antibodies, which is really not a lot) and by the time it's available the dominant variants will be far enough from the original Omicron that it might not be more effective at all. No reason to wait imo.

https://s29.q4cdn.com/435878511/files/doc_presentations/2022/06/Master-Final-Bivalent-Omicron-Data-Update-(06.08.2022)pdf.pdf

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Evelyn said:

Booster 2 acquired this morning. 

(in other random questions--why is CVS always such a clusterf*ck?)

21 minutes ago, small h said:

DO NOT GET ME STARTED.

OMG!    We thought it was just ours.

• Like 1

I went to pick up H's prescriptions yesterday. Called first, of course, to make sure they were all ready, and to go through them one by one to say no, don't need this one and that one, because we already have those drugs at home.

Arrived to find that one of the drugs was not ready, and the two I said we did not need were both packed up and ready to go. Okay, mistakes happen, but Counter Person was extremely unpleasant and acted like I was displaying some Serious Audacity in expecting that the mistakes be corrected.

1 minute ago, small h said:

I went to pick up H's prescriptions yesterday. Called first, of course, to make sure they were all ready, and to go through them one by one to say no, don't need this one and that one, because we already have those drugs at home.

Arrived to find that one of the drugs was not ready, and the two I said we did not need were both packed up and ready to go. Okay, mistakes happen, but Counter Person was extremely unpleasant and acted like I was displaying some Serious Audacity in expecting that the mistakes be corrected.

That's the CVS closer to you?  The one in the Targé actually has nice people working in it.

Though I still get my prescriptions filled at our little mom and pop, or via mail order.

Just now, joethefoodie said:

That's the CVS closer to you? 

Yeah, 500 Grand. I should switch to the Targé one, but..it's farther. I really think as soon as Rite Aid closed, the CVS got markedly worse, and it was never that good.

1838735306_wedontcare.png.ae7862ded6e87c8e48bd4cd9a2f1119c.png