Sivan finally got covid last week, with flu like symptoms. So far I haven't had symptoms and am testing negative, although I had pain in my hamstring which was exactly like what I felt after each vaccine shot - hopefully it means the threat is being dealt with on the DL. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As of Sunday, fully vaccinated with Pfizer.  Yesterday, a had a sore, arm, headache and low fever.  Today, I'm fine.

I wonder if they'll go back to claiming they're gluten intolerant after this. 

Posted Images

Are we developing herd immunity without too many people getting really sick? I feel like everyone who had successfully avoided it succumbed over the last couple of months.

2 hours ago, small h said:

I think H may be the only person I know who hasn't gotten COVID. He's gonna be like Veronica Cartwright at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

N and I haven't gotten it yet, knock wood.

So far we've dodged the bullet.    2 of son's family of 5 went down.    We recently begged off a dinner party at which one guy has been covid free for a month, but just returned from France, and the host is 14 days off positive tests.    Seems to us much better odds than the lottery.

I'll be very happy if I make it through a week+ of exposure with no symptoms. 

5 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Are we developing herd immunity without too many people getting really sick? I feel like everyone who had successfully avoided it succumbed over the last couple of months.

No chance of herd immunity with the current variants, just waves every few months until there are good prophylactics and / or a generic coronavirus vaccines some people are working on. Not many people getting seriously sick, but out of the hundreds I know well enough there are some my age and in good shape who are taking over a month to recover. 

The only reason I knew I had it were mild symptoms that I would normally have put down to a summer cold; but I was scheduled to meet an older friend and someone who had major family air travel coming up.

So I tested positive, all of that was canceled, and they both got it anyway. If I’d had nothing scheduled I would not have known I’d had it.

9 hours ago, Orik said:

Not many people getting seriously sick, but out of the hundreds I know well enough there are some my age and in good shape who are taking over a month to recover. 

Not their age, but it took me almost that long to test negative and to get the sense of smell back.

But often a bad cold will also take me that long for sense of smell to fully recover. Was other damage being done to lungs or other internal organs - who knows?

I'm starting to wonder a bit about Paxlovid, if one is fully vaxxed and boosted...

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/07/biden-paxlovid-covid-drug-rebound-infections/671009/

• Like 1

No COVID has entered my household. But we are very very careful still. We wear masks whenever in public places, and limit our close social contacts to people who we know are vaccinated. We are not hermits and still go out to shows, the gym, restaurants, etc, but still practise all the measures we did before. This is all under the direction of my parent's oncologist, although we probably would be doing so even without cancer and a compromised immune system being involved.      

Generally, I would guess only about 10% of the people in my city are doing the same. But that's still more than what I saw when I was in the US a couple of months ago, where the only masked people I saw were my relatives (mostly from Canada).    

13 hours ago, Evelyn said:

Either you've all dodged the bullet---or you've had it and were asymptomatic. Either way works.

The (obvious) problem is that they keep changing the ammunition.    One day bullets, another day arrows, the next spears and so on.    So we keep changing our defenses from vests to shields to armor.    Dodging involves playing catch-up.

44 minutes ago, prasantrin said:

No COVID has entered my household. But we are very very careful still. We wear masks whenever in public places, and limit our close social contacts to people who we know are vaccinated. We are not hermits and still go out to shows, the gym, restaurants, etc, but still practise all the measures we did before. This is all under the direction of my parent's oncologist, although we probably would be doing so even without cancer and a compromised immune system being involved.      

Generally, I would guess only about 10% of the people in my city are doing the same. But that's still more than what I saw when I was in the US a couple of months ago, where the only masked people I saw were my relatives (mostly from Canada).    

weirdly the least covid aware place I've been in the last year was Montreal - and that includes Florida