Corona Virus Cooking

There are probably 50 people out on our block right now. The west side is far better behaved. 

Next up in virus cookery - caparrones, since we have alubias de anguiano and approximately the right mix of embutidos

You have all those NYU assholes. A friend who lives on Fifth and 9th, in the thick of it, says he’s tempted to hang out the window yelling’Go home! Don’t stand so close together!’
  • Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our last meal from someone other than me was this...     pizza from Scarr's.  Their pizza has actually gotten better, in my opinion, as they've worked the crust to near perfection for this style

Chicken in vin jaune, morels, asparagus, coucous

I finally made really good fries at home. so exciting.

Posted Images

Today we went for a joyride.   Across town to our son's house in Noe Valley.    Masks at the ready on the dashboard.   I would guessimate that 90 % of people on the streets had on masks.    So we text when we're outside, and they all come out to the front porch.   Kids taking a break from online schoolwork.    Good visit.   We took them a bag of oddments, and they gave us 5# unbleached flour!   Woohoo!  

FWIW, they have not been more than a block from their house in a month, and DIL said that they were spending most time in the backyard, that streets were just too stressful with three kids.

It's very strange here in NYC.  We're basically at the epicenter of the pandemic, and both Significant Eater and I are quite sheltered in place. Yet so many providers have started contactless delivery, that we're in need of very little, and therefore have no reason to leave the apartment.

And I also seem to be getting stuff at home that I would have to schlep all over town to procure (if I could get it at all), at prices below what I would be paying. That whole brisket, for example? $60. Where am I going with this - oh yeah - I got 2 deliveries yesterday, some of which looked like this, after it was all bathed...

IMG_0547.thumb.JPG.10dd885bab2a20d22d2e5

Carrots, celery, leeks, fennel, Caraflex cabbages, green beans, avocados, a pound of mushrooms, RAMPS, bananas, Cara Cara oranges, lemons, 2 kinds of apples, a jar of horseradish, sunflower oil, a big can of good anchovies, free-range chicken. Most of the fruit and vegetables are organic. Not shown from another supplier - more mushrooms, 5 or 6 different cheeses, French butter, heavy cream. It's crazy, and I know how lucky we are, for a number of different reasons.

Of course, when life hands you such an excess (what should I do with 3 pounds of assorted, gorgeous mushroom?), one can always open up Mastering The Art of French Cooking, Volume 1, and make a riff on Legumes a la Grecque. Which is what I did...

IMG_0549.thumb.JPG.b11876c8ae725cc523d32

• Like 1

Also annoying is that completely random things are unavailable. As of last week eggs (flour no longer a problem) and weirdly, I'm having a hard time finding cumin. 

Going super early yesterday really paid off. I didn't have to wait at all, and when I got out 15 minutes later there was a long queue. Got the eggs, white no less, good for dying. I had to bike downtown to pick up a smoked salmon order in the afternoon, and stopped by a favourite stand at Viktualienmarkt -- not too long of a wait, scored 3 jars for preserved lemons (one for my neighbour), arbequina olives, and yay, cumin. They added a pide and  spicy feta dip as a gift, so we also got an impromptu meze. The market was somewhat active but nothing like it would typically be ahead of a four day weekend. 

Late morning snack or early lunch = vin jaune chicken and morels from last night on a bun.    Chuck is tired of chicken, isn't fond of fond of vin jaune and says he doesn't appreciate morels.   I have lots of happy leftovers.

49757653966_0aa4a8cb88_b.jpg

• Like 1