Corona Virus Cooking

I drove up to my inlaws almost a week ago as I hadn't seen my kids in over a month.. I have been here cooking two meals a day for everyone.. I am really into to bacon egg and cheeses on soft untoasted bread.. I like the hot cheese and egg mixed with the super soft bread.  

This is 2.5 pieces of bacon, super cheap, like unbranded, super thin, bacon.. I have very limited bacon experience in my life, well, i mean, tons of bacon experience over say the last 14 years but, it's only been schaller and weber, peter lugers, Nueske's, higher end stuff.. This is either hormel or one of the SD brands.. And well, it was so fragile and thin, i was nervous it would just melt in to the pan.. It thankfully crisped and well, where I usually eat one piece, this required 2.5 pieces.  One egg, one slice of cheese and sriracha.  

49798858332_97f0d01c0d_z.jpg

I like to write my name in sriracha too.  Either a DM or DAN 

49798518616_04ed5f3175_z.jpg

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our last meal from someone other than me was this...     pizza from Scarr's.  Their pizza has actually gotten better, in my opinion, as they've worked the crust to near perfection for this style

Why make scallion pancakes when you can make ramp pancakes?

I finally made really good fries at home. so exciting.

Posted Images

I made serious eats chinese spareribs recipe.. I made them twice so far.. Once at home with baby backs, once for my father in law.. I figured he would love these.. Pretty easy recipe, the hard part is that it takes three days to marinade.   Shaoxing wine, hoison, five spice, honey,  soy sauce and thats about it...  Cook covered and then reapply marinade and blast... They are delicious.. Served with rice and bok choy.. The bok choy was ginger, chinese vinegar, soy and oyster sauce.  

49804815043_531e971069_z.jpg

Ginger and garlic too:

49805370671_4e4c287b39_z.jpg

I made an extra cup of rice for fried rice for today.. 

• Like 1

I brought up a ton of food to my inlaws..  In addition to the meat I mentioned, 5 lbs of flank, 5 lbs of pork chops, dry aged ribeyes, ribs and chickens, I brought up ricotta cheese, assorted cheese, sour cream, tortillas, cabbage, ginger, garlic and assorted groceries for my daughter.  And well, i feel like I haven't yet to wear out my welcome not to mention, I have been cooking every meal and still haven't eaten as much as I brought... Last night, I made pork chops with this spaghetti squash casserole.. My mother in law handed me a 6 lb spaghetti squash.. She didn't want it to go to waste and well, i have limited experience with spaghetti squash.. I am happy i cooked with it because, it's super easy to work with and rather versatile.  So, after perusing the interwebs, there wasn't anything too exciting.. It all seemed like ways to shoe horn the squash into being this faux healthy pasta alternative.. Like, spaghetti squash bolognese or something like that..  Then I was thinking, oh, let's just make a ravioli filling with it.  But, i felt like the stringiness would be lost.. Anyway, I had ricotta cheese so, I typed in spaghetti squash and ricotta.   Rachel Ray's recipe popped up.. I had exactly three cups of ricotta, i had exactly a pound of mozzarella, I had exactly a pound of spinach.  The stars aligned.. 

I must say, I rarely follow recipes.. I love to read them but, never even considered reading or using something from Rachel Ray.. But, as I read this recipe, all the boxes checked off.. It was essentially spinached mixed with ricotta, crack and egg in, add parm, garlic, nutmeg, add cooked spaghetti squash, place in a casserole dish and topped with mozarella.. It was so simple, maybe 20 minutes of prep and less than 1.5 hours of cooking.   

At this point, you have spinach, parm and ricotta.. I could have done many different familiar things with that, at this point. Lots of pasta ideas as I have been wanting to make cannelloni for a long time..  But, that didn't help my spaghetti squash issue..  Rachel leaves the seasoning up to you.. She suggests 2 cloves of garlic, I went closer to 6.. I used two whole nutmegs and a punch of salt and a shot of lemon... 

49804849573_d694599514_z.jpg

The results were wonderful.. The ricotta was really light.. It was not as creamy and unhealthy as I expected.. I mean, 3 cups of ricotta mixed in with a 7 pounds of vegetables essentially.. If this was paula dean, there would have been cream cheese and heavy cream or a bechamel or maybe three pounds of gruyere or swiss or all of it with some bacon.. But, it was actually fairly light and healthy feeling..  The five of us, didn't even eat 25 percent of the pan... 

Served with bone in pork chops and apple sauce. 

I would 100 percent make this again.. But, I would also use this as a hot dip, if I wasn't leaving tomorrow morning, I would make this into a pizza topping, or a calzone, this would be an excellent lasagna, cannelloni, or a few other things.. Even perfect on a thanksgiving table. 

Anyway, sorry for all the mean things I may have said about rachel ray in my youth..  

49804813963_40afe51f26_z.jpg

• Like 2

If you have not yet cooked the miso butter rubbed poussin from Dartagnan you should. Lots of butter but who cares at this point. Made twice as much bok choi and mushrooms than needed and plan to reheat that Friday night with soba noodles and grilled salmon and a bottle of sake. 

Nice - I'm defrosting two of them as I write.

mrs. jones found a packet with 4 costco lamb loin chops in the freezer last weekend. normally, i'd have worried about how long they'd been in there but during the pandemic one is less fastidious. rubbed with a simple mix of toasted and pounded cumin and coriander, seared and served atop a chocolate-curry reduction. not bad at all.

like evelyn, i suddenly can't post pictures the old way from twitter or facebook (perhaps they've changed their file extensions) so you'll have to look at it on instagram*.

*orik: it gives me that "you are not allowed to use that extension" error even when i am only trying to make a url link (not trying to display a picture). it won't even let me make the post if i paste any url directly into the post.

eta: it finally let me make the link by editing the post. now to see if i can display the image here. and...no.

• Like 1

Carne asada tacos for lunch. Kids got plain chicken tacos. Dinner was quesadillas with chicken or plain, and I finished off some beans from a previous day, refried with some of the cheese, topped with salsa and avocado.

The beans - fancy-ish scarlet runners from Italy— were the freshest dried beans I’ve had so far in Germany, but the skins were tough and split during cooking. Was hoping to bring some Rancho Gordo back from US this trip. Oh well.

Robert Sietsema on Eater:

It’s amazing how the current epidemic has so quickly reduced our expectations for food. I’ve been cooking for myself for the last month, and even though I’m a good cook, what I’ve been eating lately almost never matches even the most casual restaurant meals I once ate every day.

Do you:

(a) Disgree

(b) Strongly disagree

(c ) Want to know where he had been eating

it has reduced my expectations for takeout. on saturday i picked up barely acceptable thai food from a place that we would not have gone back to eat in at, knowing full well it would be barely acceptable. the desire to eat thai trumped the knowledge it would not be very good.

but not much has changed with our cooking at home. though i don't think our grocery options have narrowed much, if at all, in minnesota.

And my cooking at home is certainly at least the equivalent of most restaurants we go to, but that's basically always been the case.

If he's, as he says, a "good cook," how is he not making better stuff at home than even the most casual meals he eats out?

On 4/22/2020 at 2:16 PM, Behemoth said:

Carne asada tacos for lunch. Kids got plain chicken tacos. Dinner was quesadillas with chicken or plain, and I finished off some beans from a previous day, refried with some of the cheese, topped with salsa and avocado.

The beans - fancy-ish scarlet runners from Italy— were the freshest dried beans I’ve had so far in Germany, but the skins were tough and split during cooking. Was hoping to bring some Rancho Gordo back from US this trip. Oh well.

Soak those beans overnight in a brine - that should help the skins.