Corona Virus Cooking

I distinctly remember, after putting in my order (I did it from a subway train), thinking, what am I going to do with all that stuff?

Little did I realize.

Same. Last night was grilled pork loin from Dartagnan with a raspberry chipotle sauce served with RG Marcella beans seasoned with RG's mexican oregano.

Tonight was a roasted Dartagnan chicken (I ordered 6 chickens and 8 poussin Monday cause I can't get my hands on a chicken where I live) served with roasted vegetables and quinoa.

I'm feeling Dartagnan duck sausage with eggs for breakfast Saturday. I still have a porcelet rib rack, pork chops, veal flank steak and a bunch of different sausages. A few duck breasts hiding somewhere in my freezer.

What do you have, a walk-in?  I have a pretty decently sized fridge/freezer for an apartment, and it is packed to the hilt.

Yesterday, I got deliveries from Alaskan seafood (overnight free delivery, because I bought a LOT); it arrived in perfect condition, frozen solid with dry ice packing, and also from Father's Bacon in Kentucky, which included 5 lbs. of gorgeous bacon, ham hocks, bacon ends for seasoning, and other assorted odds and ends. I ended up giving each neighbor on my floor either a pound of bacon or a couple of ham hocks, since my chicken order arrives today!

By the way, I love those poussins - perfect to share and they pan roast beautifully.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our last meal from someone other than me was this...     pizza from Scarr's.  Their pizza has actually gotten better, in my opinion, as they've worked the crust to near perfection for this style

Chicken in vin jaune, morels, asparagus, coucous

I finally made really good fries at home. so exciting.

Posted Images

meatballs from the new Alison Roman cookbook. i got my Rancho shipment yesterday so I’ll make a pot of beans to go with tonight.

I have so many apples so I’m pondering a cake but will have to either get rid of half or eat it all myself.

Our last meal from someone other than me was this...

SeitFha.jpg

pizza from Scarr's.  Their pizza has actually gotten better, in my opinion, as they've worked the crust to near perfection for this style of pie.

oWtKmfh.jpg

Paella.

wnN9hOf.jpg

F5HcV2n.jpg

GBWJfMN.jpg

My first cornbread - I'm so proud.  Served with sautéed greens, D'artagnan duck sausage, and onion/leek/potato soup.

Gotta have breakfasts too...

3fJNxsN.jpg

And that sourdough rye from Pain d'Avignon is just the ticket for avo toast.

Production...

Rp7G8ok.jpg

A1k6Jmc.jpg

DT3zkfG.jpg

That duck sausage worked nicely for the pasta with broccoli raab and sausage.

Some new reading material...

PGLR1IL.jpg

Delivery of weird stuff from (I think) Amazon Pantry...

duN77Ja.jpg

Now who hasn't made clam sauce with those canned clams?  And much to my surprise, they are now cobranded Snow's and Bumble Bee!

Yesterday's...

j6EbS1x.jpg

Which has nothing to do with...

CBRkhkb.jpg

rvupoED.jpg

A Basque-ish potato tuna salad. Served as the centerpiece of a composed salad.

Rancho Gordo treat...

aGwiVMG.jpg

Hoppin' John, spinach on the side.

d9mvxUW.jpg

1/2 tomato anchovy focaccia 1/2 pecorino. Sautéed raab.

And finally, as it was Significant Eater's birthday yesterday...

QVsJTCc.jpg

• Like 4

I distinctly remember, after putting in my order (I did it from a subway train), thinking, what am I going to do with all that stuff?

Little did I realize.

Same. Last night was grilled pork loin from Dartagnan with a raspberry chipotle sauce served with RG Marcella beans seasoned with RG's mexican oregano.

Tonight was a roasted Dartagnan chicken (I ordered 6 chickens and 8 poussin Monday cause I can't get my hands on a chicken where I live) served with roasted vegetables and quinoa.

I'm feeling Dartagnan duck sausage with eggs for breakfast Saturday. I still have a porcelet rib rack, pork chops, veal flank steak and a bunch of different sausages. A few duck breasts hiding somewhere in my freezer.

What do you have, a walk-in?  I have a pretty decently sized fridge/freezer for an apartment, and it is packed to the hilt.

Since we are never going out again, we put my wife's clothes/shoes in storage and put a freezer in her closet. :cool:

• Like 2

meatballs from the new Alison Roman cookbook. i got my Rancho shipment yesterday so I’ll make a pot of beans to go with tonight.

I have so many apples so I’m pondering a cake but will have to either get rid of half or eat it all myself.

Maybe you can make applesauce and then take some of it to cook it further to make apple butter, and then make Dorie Greenspan's double apple bundt cake with the apple butter, and her apple spice bars with the applesauce. Then if you still have some left, make her crumb topped apple bars or the custard apple cake. Mmmmmmm....

Continue to churn out "what's to eat when there's nothing to eat" meals.    Tonight dressed fresh cheese, lobster ravioli from the freezer and the sleeper, poached chard stems gratin in a light veloute and Parmesan.    Husband who would bypass veggies forever loved this.    What can I tell you...49680891343_4a111049b3_c.jpg

• Like 1

Sobering and true.   At this very early point, i worry more about veg than protein.  ironically, I combine a backyard with a black thumb.    Mache, sorrel and flat leaf parsley grow with abandon.   Any main course recipes using these?    Should have been thinking about this much earlier.

So, I got a heads up from someone who works for a food company that only does free/flat rate shipping a couple of times a year on Wednesday night. They were going to free shipping this weekend. Email this morning saying it is postponed. My guess is demand is so high they no longer need to bother to do the free (or even flat rate shipping they also do once or twice a year). That really sucks for me, living in LV, with them being east coast based. Shipping fees are usually more than the actual cost of a large ($$) order normally  :( . No breaks for spending hundreds  :( .