Corona Virus Cooking

One of Significant Eater's favorite things - to have for lunch yesterday...

1704513653_Burritoleftovers05-01.jpeg.2cf9fb679340b87623a3d065ce7abbf6.jpeg

Leftover poussin and potatoes reheated in the Cuisi steam oven. An avocado/confit tomato/Hatch Valley salsa (TJ's!) thing. House pickled red onions. Easy enough to eat when on computer meetings all day.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our last meal from someone other than me was this...     pizza from Scarr's.  Their pizza has actually gotten better, in my opinion, as they've worked the crust to near perfection for this style

Why make scallion pancakes when you can make ramp pancakes?

I finally made really good fries at home. so exciting.

Posted Images

Tried to go to the Ferry Building Farmer's Market and nearly had an anxiety attack trying to maintain a 6-foot distance from people with all of the crowds.  Gave up and just went to Golden Gate Meats, where I scored a tri-tip for tomorrow's dinner, 2 types of fancy sausage, and a ham hock.

55 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

Tried to go to the Ferry Building Farmer's Market and nearly had an anxiety attack trying to maintain a 6-foot distance from people with all of the crowds.  Gave up and just went to Golden Gate Meats, where I scored a tri-tip for tomorrow's dinner, 2 types of fancy sausage, and a ham hock.

As much as I appreciate the vendors and quality product at Ferry Farmer's, I can go into chain-stroke breathing even before pandemic.    So much entitlement, support "dogs" in a dog free zone, toddlers tossing barely gnawed $5 pears from their strollers...    Many of the same farms are represented a half dozen blocks from our house in a much less privileged ambiance.    I'm nnot saying I'm not privileged, but I try not to come across as entitled.   

I'm Old and can't keep myself from retelling anecdotes:

Park Slope Dad to 5-year-old son as they hover over tomato bins at Grand Army Plaza Greenmarket in palmier days:

"Choose some tomatoes.  Express yourself through your tomato choices!"

Corona Virus delivery of crawfish strudel from Hanrahan, LA. Just ridiculous while listening to wwoz.org's jazzfest stream. And then Corona Virus Cooking of shrimp and grits while listening to Allen Toussaint from Jazzfest in 2009. Southern Nights still one of my faves.....

• Like 1

So yesterday I decided I (we) wanted linguini with clam sauce for dinner, old school (like college days) style, which means canned clams. I have both canned clams and jarred clam juice (pandemic buying), and I'm looking forward to the pasta all day long.

I start making the sauce, everything is lined up. Some spring onion, garlic goes into olive oil. The jarred clam juice goes in with a little white wine. A few chopped tomatoes. Etc. etc. Then I open the can of clams and say to myself: "Man, these are the weirdest looking clams I've seen in a while, canned or not."

Well, there's a reason for everything (like besides being pretty much sheltered for 7 weeks)...

Tuna.jpeg.a41e006faed5fb387b2c3fb2aab7967c.jpeg

So not only did I open the can of tuna, it's solid white! Like when did I even buy that shit? Oh well,

1199286129_Spaghetticontonno05-02.jpeg.3c6c5309de85f4a06735ae6b68c140c9.jpeg

Spaghetti con tonno, in a clammy sauce. Side of broccolini.

•  
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

So yesterday I decided I (we) wanted linguini with clam sauce for dinner, old school (like college days) style, which means canned clams. I have both canned clams and jarred clam juice (pandemic buying), and I'm looking forward to the pasta all day long.

I start making the sauce, everything is lined up. Some spring onion, garlic goes into olive oil. The jarred clam juice goes in with a little white wine. A few chopped tomatoes. Etc. etc. Then I open the can of clams and say to myself: "Man, these are the weirdest looking clams I've seen in a while, canned or not."

Well, there's a reason for everything (like besides being pretty much sheltered for 7 weeks)...

Tuna.jpeg.a41e006faed5fb387b2c3fb2aab7967c.jpeg

So not only did I open the can of tuna, it's solid white! Like when did I even buy that shit? Oh well,

1199286129_Spaghetticontonno05-02.jpeg.3c6c5309de85f4a06735ae6b68c140c9.jpeg

Spaghetti con tonno, in a clammy sauce. Side of broccolini.

•  

Works for me...