Corona Virus Cooking

So th roasted chicken was picked clean, and the remnants used in stock making. Confession: I ate both wings, and they did not make it into the stock.

I want to make a chicken pot pie, or a chicken shepherd's pie or whatever it's called. so yesterday my experiment was what would the filling be like. Fortunately, Jacques had recently posted on FB what he does with the remnants of a roasted chicken...

I did the same, only mine was better (maybe 🤣). Cooked the veg in stock as opposed to water. Used crème fraîche in lieu of heavy cream.

2015008299_Chickenpotpieinside05-07.jpeg.a402549e92986b64b2526fa111454d6e.jpeg

Man, was this good. I can't wait to turn it into something else.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our last meal from someone other than me was this...     pizza from Scarr's.  Their pizza has actually gotten better, in my opinion, as they've worked the crust to near perfection for this style

Why make scallion pancakes when you can make ramp pancakes?

I finally made really good fries at home. so exciting.

Posted Images

Another reason why Coronavirus kitchen inventory control is so hard.

Yesterday, I ran out of bagels -- but not out of appetizing in my refrigerator.  I carefully calculated how many bagels I needed for the amount of smoked/cured fish I had left, and went to my local bagel shop and ordered that amount.

They were so happy to have a customer -- and so laden with evidently fresh but unsold product -- that they gave me what seem like thousands (OK, an exaggeration) of extra bagels "on the house."  The owner kept telling the counterperson, "Give him more.  Give him more."  What was I to say?  "I don't NEED them!"?

So much for home inventory management.

I'd invite you all over for bagels.  But I can't.

Trying to balance out the heavy meals with lighter ones, at least for lunch...

1876637829_Donabelunch05-08.jpeg.e1cfc56bfbfc115e432abae4f7264c01.jpeg

Donabe rice with mushrooms, watermelon radish, ginger, spring onion. Dashi gets made with dashi tea bags, so it takes about 4 minutes to make the stock for this. 

I was weeding my garden when a lightbulb went off. Dandelion greens are fantastic wilted with a warm anchovy garlic dressing and a couple of fried eggs plopped on top. 

And snow yesterday had me craving a hearty soup so I made a (rancho) black bean soup. Vegetarian except for the fact that I used bacon fat to sauté the bacon and onions.

Somebody left about a pound of rhubarb on the free table of my community garden so I made a rhubarb clafoutis which was simple and excellent.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Abbylovi said:

Somebody left about a pound of rhubarb on the free table of my community garden so I made a rhubarb clafoutis which was simple and excellent.

Great idea for the rhubarb - did you cook it down first, or right in the custard?

Spouse made a big brisket several weeks ago which fed us for several dinners. Not enough left for another meal, so lunch is  thickly sliced brisket (2nd cut) on a challah roll. The the remaining sauce will be used on homemade pasta later in the week. Pantry eating at its finest!