Abbylovi

Corona Virus Cooking

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

(I mean, if you don't have a 6 year old.)

Do you want to borrow mine for a couple of weeks?

13 hours ago, voyager said:

Think rice flour on the silpat, aka "bakers' teflon".   

I gave up my silpats a long time ago (I mean, I still have it, just don't use them).  I like parchment.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

I gave up my silpats a long time ago (I mean, I still have it, just don't use them).  I like parchment.

I just use countertop.

4 minutes ago, voyager said:

I just use countertop.

Yeah, that's what I do for rolling. I use parchment to line baking sheets and cookie sheets, and bannetons and proofing baskets!

• Like 1

Question, while we're on the subject?     All of my French friends line their tart pans with parchment.    I have  only seen the finished product, so have no idea how they fit it in.   Do you do this, and is there a trick to fitting a flat piece of stiffish paper into a fluted pan?   

I haven't ever tried that, and for bannetons and proofing I just kinda try to smush the paper in there as best I can, with as few wrinkles as possilbe.

Do they spend time picking parchment out of the flutes?

55 minutes ago, voyager said:

Question, while we're on the subject?     All of my French friends line their tart pans with parchment.    I have  only seen the finished product, so have no idea how they fit it in.   Do you do this, and is there a trick to fitting a flat piece of stiffish paper into a fluted pan?   

I think you only line the (removable) bottom and oil the sides. There are also fluted non-stick liners, even ones that are stiff enough that you may not need that pan at all.

Trying to use up the perishable stuff I have too much of. This is cod with spinach and mushrooms, sour cream & parm, bread crumbs. And new potatoes with green garlic. The fish was really good. The potatoes were, eh, fine.

IMG_3993.jpg.d613c9dbc68466f318aa8f6630e2233a.jpg

1 hour ago, Orik said:

I think you only line the (removable) bottom and oil the sides. There are also fluted non-stick liners, even ones that are stiff enough that you may not need that pan at all.

Yeah, that would make the most sense and they sell the parchment already cut to size.  I don't recall ever having a problem with tart crusts sticking, though; there's so much butter in the dough, it just kinda shrinks away from the sides, even for a crappy pastry maker like me...

448452524_TarteauCitron2016_01_172292.thumb.JPG.33ce13a9a6e3de675eec65de75da002d.JPG

On 5/10/2020 at 10:16 PM, Abbylovi said:

🤣we've all become homesteaders.

occurred to me today, with all the preserving etc. and the homeschooling on top, I may soon start wearing bonnets and shunning zippers.