Abbylovi

Corona Virus Cooking

I'm almost afraid to eat the enormous pig's foot stuffed with fresh chorizo I made yesterday. It's going to stretch to three or four meals (nobody is helping me with this).

I removed the main bone (not easy), stuffed it, sewed it up (really difficult, I bent the needle trying to get it through the tough pig skin), simmered it with aromatics, then blasted it in a hot oven. Quite a project. 

I guess it's a healthy option in the sense that, unlike Bloomfield at the Breslin, I didn't finish by deep frying it.

Untitled.png

• Haha 1

I wish I could help you with that.

I finally got around to putting up my Preserved Meyer Lemons this afternoon.

I feel even more smugly good about myself than I do when making stock.

I just remembered I have the chorizo which didn’t fit into the pig foot, so there’s Sunday breakfast sorted.

another version of the same meal on the smaller konro. that's a mixture of second and third use binchotan, and there were a few pieces that I'll be able to use again. 

the bread is a not so great version of the serious eats scallion pancake, I rolled it out as thin as I could but it was burning before it was cooked through.

the potato under the steak was cooked in cream and charred and was the best version of it that I've mad yet.

STEAK_AND_POTATO.jpg

BREAD.jpg

COALS.jpg

Is it absolutely necessary to use fire starter?    

Extraordinary times call for extraordinary food.    Deep fried prawns and "French fries".       Not plated, just plattered.    Cocktail sauce for prawns, mayo for potatoes.

767200908_photo1-4.thumb.JPG.4c0f927e781661a541f10240782c3a9a.JPG

Husband's darker fry

2087275986_photo2-4.thumb.JPG.b77f9276af96b1c8c676c34a9501913b.JPG

Big pan of garlic sauteed greens for balance

• Like 1

A while back I took a shot at making hand rolls, and they turned out pretty well, which made me think I could probably make maki if I felt like it. Not so much! I tried my hand at an avocado roll with some spring garlic / ginger sauce (the Momofuku thing, only different). So what went wrong, you ask?

1) I got nervous that my sushi rice was too salty and vinegary, so I added another portion of plain rice, and then it wasn't salty or vinegary enough.

2) I don't know what the hell kind of nori I have in the house, but it is ALL WRONG, in that it is too stiff and also perforated (wtf?). I brushed it with water to make it more pliable.

3) I don't have a bamboo mat, so I used a dishtowel and saran wrap, which is something of a problem, but more importantly, I am apparently not a natural at this rolling thing. So I ended up with a loose, shaggy cylinder that threatened to fall apart if you looked at it wrong.

I ate it, it tasted fine, but the whole affair was kind of demoralizing, so much so that I followed this sad excuse for a meal by poaching a piece of bluefish and eating it with some fennel pesto I made yesterday, which is not also very good, and looks like a mess of oily green hair.

I'm not in the best mood.

I'm dying for some sushi,. and even though I basically have everything I need (well, except all the great fish), my attempt will be to make chirashi. That way I shouldn't have to worry about rolling skills, etc.