Abbylovi

Corona Virus Cooking

11 hours ago, voyager said:

Is it absolutely necessary to use fire starter?    

how do you light binchotan? I've read you can put it in a 350 oven for 15 minutes and use a butane torch, is that what you have in mind?

29 minutes ago, AaronS said:

how do you light binchotan? I've read you can put it in a 350 oven for 15 minutes and use a butane torch, is that what you have in mind?

482926818_ScreenShot2020-05-20at6_31_56AM.thumb.png.a2a390145d8387a90c835e702ce82086.png

Would this work for you?

I don’t have a portable gas burner and even if I ignore the danger of running a bbq inside I’d have to carry the coals through a lot of common space.

I don’t like the chemical smell of the fire starter either.

my butane torch has no effect on them.

El Pollo Loco is having cheap family specials, so I combined their takeout chicken with my homemade Mexican-restaurant rice and garden peas & broccoli sauteed with salt, pepper, and RG Mexican oregano.

Can I just say this? A lot of us are having fun sourcing great ingredients and making meals which are even as good as casual restaurant meals. Fine.

But with three to six meals coming out of the kitchen every day (different dietary requirements mean only some meals are family meals), I am cleaning more dishes than at any time in my life.

Thank you for letting me whine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Can I just say this? A lot of us are having fun sourcing great ingredients and making meals which are even as good as casual restaurant meals. Fine.

But with three to six meals coming out of the kitchen every day (different dietary requirements mean only some meals are family meals), I am cleaning more dishes than at any time in my life.

I'm with you.  Going to a restaurant and picking up take out is just not the same as being there and enjoying a meal with others in the vicinity.  But, hey, stay safe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I wish casual restaurant meals were as good as what I'm cooking...they're quite honestly not.

I'm probably running my dishwasher every day now. Big difference from once every 3 days.  Like yesterday when I used the processor, something I used to wash by hand, it went instead into the dishwasher (which does a better job) with the dishes from 3 meals and other assorted cooking.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hollywood said:

I'm with you.  Going to a restaurant and picking up take out is just not the same as being there and enjoying a meal with others in the vicinity.  But, hey, stay safe.

I think we're averaging one restaurant pickup per week, but since I won't eat out of cartons, it only slightly reduces the dish washing.  Some months ago, I swapped the dishwasher out for a washing machine. The former was hardly used. For the first time I am thinking of it wistfully.

Wait wait wait.  Do like grown ups eat out if the cartons? Like even when I was single and I would order I would decant anything more involved than a sandwich onto a plate.

• Like 1

I still eat out of cartons sometimes. I don't see the point of moving soup or lo mein to a bowl, unless I'm planning on saving some of it. And transferring an order of chirashi from container to plate is just gonna mess it up.

I am washing so many fucking dishes, it's ridiculous. (and this is with a dishwasher) Every time I look, there are more dishes that need to be washed. 

Not many dishes at dinner, usually 2 hors d'ouevre, 2 starter, 2 plate.    No biggie.   But second breakfast, lunch, mid-afternoon ->    whooeee.    Mostly small bowls and zillions of silverware.

Two people = run dishwasher roughly every other day.   

Today we are concerned with color, so dinner is olive drab. Schav with watercress, and dal with chard. Very pleased with both.

IMG_4132.jpg.b437deef4dabd56a5fb34d7bdff4d371.jpg

Chopping up the watercress would have made it easier to eat, but also less pretty. I erred on the side of pretty.

• Like 2