Abbylovi

Corona Virus Cooking

Usually I use thin fideos, but basically you're making a paella.

1 hour ago, Orik said:

Usually I use thin fideos, but basically you're making a paella.

Yeah that I get, but don't they get really soggy? Or does the toasting help them stay a little more firm?

Soggy isn't really a problem because at the end of cooking there's no stock left and you can crisp the bottom and / or top, greasy might be a problem depending on how liberal you've been with olive oil in your sofrito :) 

They take less stock than arroz bomba - off hand I'd say 50% more stock than pasta but ymmv

Excellent.   Good tip about the amount of stock; I can't imagine them taking anything like the absorption rate of the arroz bomba we use.  Gonna start with a recently purchased enameled paella pan (unused so far). It's like a 9" pan I think I paid $10 for. 

19 hours ago, Orik said:

Soggy isn't really a problem because at the end of cooking there's no stock left and you can crisp the bottom and / or top, greasy might be a problem depending on how liberal you've been with olive oil in your sofrito :) 

They take less stock than arroz bomba - off hand I'd say 50% more stock than pasta but ymmv

How does this look to you?

1354861107_Fideua_05-26_IMG_1066.thumb.JPG.07341bc297d6270715fda37736819ca4.JPGI d

I did a toasting method from a David Tanis NY Times' recipe, which has the noodles tossed with a little olive oil and oven roasted, before cooking the noodles in broth in the dish. That took 2 attempts, cause I burnt the first batch.

The absorption rate was good, the dish was tasty, and yes, it was a little greasy (I like olive oil!) and didn't crisp up as nice as I hoped, even with finishing it for a few minutes under the broiler (of the CSO). Not bad for a first attempt.

It's mixed mushrooms, a little chorizo in the sofrito, and mushroom stock. I also used my standard amount of saffron - is that usually used?

Last of my ramps went into a braised beef shank dish last night.

I was rearranging closet space in order to make more room in the apartment for current needs, moving stuff downstairs to my storage cage, when I came across a box I'd put there years ago.

713049974_Bowls05-28.jpeg.36bb7b2d836d63791bfc26f2453aa25a.jpeg

In said box, a set of 3 wooden bowls ( yeah, I know this is only two of them), might've been my grandmother's. I oiled them last night...they're gorgeous and have a million chop marks from making, no doubt, chopped liver, egg salad and other weird chopped things. And today for lunch, I made endive alla Romana for the 2 of us. Perfect size, and well - just perfect.

1152241134_EndiveallaRomana05-28.jpeg.c61309f3d703cef76e3652f57f548815.jpeg

Here's a question for @Orik or @bloviatrix or someone who might know.  When they made chopped liver or egg salad back in those days, they used something like this...

image.png.f16a25f858cc6354d89ff77c675cf3ef.png

I think my mother might've called it a hoch meister - does that make any sense in Yiddish at all?

I have the exact chopper that was my wasp grandmother's.   I have no idea what she might have chopped.    She was known to be pretty much a non-cook, altho she did make from scratch noodles, New England baked beans and weekly bread. 

You've pointed out that I need to resurrect my/her wooden bowls and give them some respect.

• Like 1

I remember when my grandmother got her first food processor, tried it for chopped liver a couple of times, then went back to using a cleaver (which she also used for making passover egg noodles). 

• Like 1

And our grandmothers had good looking upper-arms while never setting foot in a gym nor hoisted weights other than cast iron pans.

Following @joethefoodie's tip of saving vegetable scraps and mushroom stems, made a vegetable stock that went great with the load of parsnips I had in my CSA box. Roasted the parsnips and blended with the stock for a nice parsnip soup. Going to serve with some sort of pesto on top. 

And I thought I didn't have enough parsnip to get the soup to the consistency I wanted so boiled a few potatoes in the stock to add just in case. Turned out I didn't need them so made gnocchi for the first time in about 10 years. Having with shrimp in a spicy tomato sauce with fresh basil tonight. 

• Like 1

mitchells, remember the veg pasta treatment.    Toss pasta with veg puree enriched with a knob of butter, top with parm and scattering of unpureed veg.    Parsnip sounds intriguing in this mode.   

27 minutes ago, mitchells said:

Following @joethefoodie's tip of saving vegetable scraps and mushroom stems, made a vegetable stock that went great with the load of parsnips I had in my CSA box. Roasted the parsnips and blended with the stock for a nice parsnip soup. Going to serve with some sort of pesto on top. 

And I thought I didn't have enough parsnip to get the soup to the consistency I wanted so boiled a few potatoes in the stock to add just in case. Turned out I didn't need them so made gnocchi for the first time in about 10 years. Having with shrimp in a spicy tomato sauce with fresh basil tonight. 

I just did the same thing basically but with 120 lobster heads instead of veggie scraps.

• Like 1