Corona Virus Cooking

Every time I get down about all this, I think about how much money Steve/RG must be making.  (After a while, that will probably stop being enough to make me happy.)

CNBC was reporting today about the rise in bean sales (speaking with the CEO of Goya). These are not exact numbers--but he said they were north of 200% above last year's sales. Got to think Steve will sell out before all is said and done. 

At least we can all say 'we knew him back in the day'...and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our last meal from someone other than me was this...     pizza from Scarr's.  Their pizza has actually gotten better, in my opinion, as they've worked the crust to near perfection for this style

Chicken in vin jaune, morels, asparagus, coucous

I finally made really good fries at home. so exciting.

Posted Images

Every time I get down about all this, I think about how much money Steve/RG must be making.  (After a while, that will probably stop being enough to make me happy.)

You can always try to sell them on eBay for megabucks. It seems like there are always people who are willing to pay crazy amounts for all kinds of things.

You don't want to get smug -- I can imagine that before we're out of this, I'm going to be eying my neighbors' pets hungrily -- but I've been living rather well (as has everybody in this thread).

UWdW9Xc.jpg?1

Don't even think about it!

0fAH1Ys.jpg?1

Though I wonder how these trotters would be...

Mache, sorrel and flat leaf parsley grow with abandon.   Any main course recipes using these?    Should have been thinking about this much earlier.

Pestos for various pastas/rices?

• Like 1

I am exempt from cooking thanks to a new probable sinus infection, just in case that's something worse, if not Corona itself. Last night, after lovely spouse spatchcocked and roasted two chickens, I scrubbed and loaded everything for the dishwasher, then cleaned the greasiest surfaces. I love how meat juices tend to darken our zinc counter. I hate her salad-making's Jackson Pollock splashes of vinegar and citrus. I soap and rinse the counter every night so those wounds have a chance to return to blue. But for now, I'm not touching food except to enjoy it.

She loves me so much she's even offered to make my favorite breakfast, which she hates: fishy, garlicky, ginger-y, anise-y, white-peppery congee.

V8miQ5v.jpg

• Like 1

I remember daniel posted a pic of a denuded rabbit carcass, and i thought it looked an awful lot like a cat's body. So my guess isv it tastes like rabbit which probably tastes like chicken.

I think your kitteh needs a 'da bird to stay fit during these trying times

Sorrel from the yard soup. croutons from the oven

49688072612_2451014db9_c.jpg

Green chili and Oaxacan cheese quiche

49687236878_47f2748f77_c.jpg

With backyard mache

49687769766_0e459829aa_c.jpg

Slapping myself upside the head for not planting somethings more useful.    Stephanie and N rock!

• Like 2

Homemade Pastrami on rye with mustard and coleslaw. Before all this madness started, I bought an 11lb corned beef swimming in brine at Fairway. I soaked it overnight to get the salt out and covered it with course ground black pepper and ground coriander. Wrapped that overnight and then smoked it for 10 hours or so, the last 3 hours wrapped in foil with a little beef broth added. Cut it in half and froze each piece. Today, I steamed one of the pieces for about an hour and it came out great. Here is the before steaming picture

49688720346_86a72c08d3_m.jpg

• Like 1

Today the boy and I stress baked Chewy Squares, which are like a blondie but with raisins and walnuts in addition to chocolate chips. Recipe comes from my mom and I actually have a copy in her handwriting. We also made a plain white cake because he wanted cake. 

• Like 1

Today the boy and I stress baked Chewy Squares, which are like a blondie but with raisins and walnuts in addition to chocolate chips. Recipe comes from my mom and I actually have a copy in her handwriting. We also made a plain white cake because he wanted cake. 

Want to share your mom's recipe?    Even post a copy of her handwritten instruction?