Abbylovi

Corona Virus Cooking

My mother used a hochmesser and a wooden bowl when she made meatballs and hamburgers--as someone who helped her with this, I can say it was great for mixing in the egg and breadcrumbs and seasonings. 

When I visited Alaska, I got a (marketed to tourists) ulu knife that looks like a hochmesser but was/is used to skin fish.  The one I bought didn't do a great job at either that or chopping.

50 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

My mother used a hochmesser and a wooden bowl when she made meatballs and hamburgers--as someone who helped her with this, I can say it was great for mixing in the egg and breadcrumbs and seasonings.

I find a two-tined fork indispensable foe mixing heavy ingredients.   

1070285017_ScreenShot2020-05-29at5_34_27PM.png.ed28e1a97a89bf28d1b2af60afd80524.png

Charred broccoli and carrots with cumin, coriander and smoked paprika. Bluefish with rosemary/chive mayonnaise (could've used a couple more minutes under the broiler). Potato salad.

IMG_4205.jpg.cd70954fe06fea7b89f63bd7fcd994d4.jpg

In what feels like an unending quest to use up all this goddamn green garlic, I chopped it up and threw it into some pancakes, along with some chopped shrimp. It was my first time making these, and the recipe I chose produced a dough that was too wet to roll and too dry to pour. So I oiled up my hands and slapped it flat, and then spread it out in the pan with a couple of big spoons. That worked, the pancakes came out exactly right, and...I wasn't crazy about them. It was too much garlic and too much fry for my delicate constitution. Also, I'm out of ginger, so I used wasabi in the dipping sauce instead. That turned out to be a pretty good idea.

IMG_4208.jpg.b214fc942a605073c93ccb68fc822bf8.jpg

3 hours ago, small h said:

too much garlic

Another word combination where I know what each individual word means, but when I read them together in series I can't imagine what possible meaning could be intended.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, prasantrin said:

Is that pajeon? I think it looks very tasty!

Yes, except it's a Chinese recipe, so it's also congyoubing. They were good, but I think I just ate too many of them. Because I made too many of them.

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

Another word combination where I know what each individual word means, but when I read them together in series I can't imagine what possible meaning could be intended.

I feel that way about "leftover wine." And I used to have a higher tolerance for grease, etc., back in the day, when I could hit Kiev at 4am and polish off a plate of potato pierogi with fried onions and sour cream, and a mushroom barley soup and oh, what the hell, another Budweiser. But my once iron gut has gotten less ironic over the years.

501868855_Stocks05--31.jpeg.c190223ba45380b53da2aefd11a31ee2.jpeg

Weekends, and the insane amount of produce and protein I'm getting delivered to last a week or more at a time, lead to stock making - yes, on the stovetop, as I'm constantly cutting, trimming and adding to the pots, before letting them settle in for a nice simmer.

In front, chicken stock in its first stages of major skimming, before adding any of the aromatics - I usually wait an hour or two to add the veg and herbs.

In back, vegetable stock with lots of mushroom stems. Both quite useful.

This wasn't for dinner, but because deliveries were on the way and needed to make room...

564733033_Chickeninpot06-06.jpeg.297236c4c43c583454ee007b69046657.jpeg

So Poule au Pot it was. An interesting method - forget the skin via this method, but it yields lovely, moist meat. With the breast was made chicken salad; the back, skin and bones made stock and the leg thigh meat will undoubtedly be used in a chicken noodle soup/ramen/udon thing. Stove top, super low heat.

Still craving Asian flavors, but gotta use up the leftovers. Chorizo, onion/scallion/jalapeno, and egg on sourdough for breakfast. For lunch I'll stir-fry the most at-risk green beans or asparagus with fermented black beans or dried shrimp, on fresh ramen noodles.

That's an Insta-unfriendly blood spot on the yolk, not the world's tiniest dab of hot sauce.

breakfast-1.jpg

On 5/29/2020 at 11:08 AM, Orik said:

hockmesser :)

IMG_1266.jpeg.263e3f14b375466f46a6f3027e23d298.jpeg

Back down to storage today, and not only did I find the 3rd bowl, but two hockmesers!

• Thanks 1

I am rocketed back to my grandparents' home in the Bronx, chopping walnuts with just such a setup to make the Passover charoset, which has been my job since I was very small h. It's still my job. My family loves its traditions.