Abbylovi

Corona Virus Cooking

These bowls and choppers take me back to my wasp Thanksgiving preps.    Onions and celery for stuffing.   At my ancient aunt's house.   

Bread cubed and roasted.    Mandatory creamed onions.    Mashed pumpkin.   Claret.  

Annual critique over whether there was too much sage in the stuffing, and rounding out the meal, if someone slipped clove into the pumpkin pie.

Staunch New England "tradition" superimposed on California fresh breath stifled my appreciation of tradition.  

9 hours ago, voyager said:

These bowls and choppers take me back to my wasp Thanksgiving preps.    Onions and celery for stuffing.   At my ancient aunt's house.   

Bread cubed and roasted.    Mandatory creamed onions.    Mashed pumpkin.   Claret.  

Annual critique over whether there was too much sage in the stuffing, and rounding out the meal, if someone slipped clove into the pumpkin pie.

Staunch New England "tradition" superimposed on California fresh breath stifled my appreciation of tradition.  

Isn't there almost always too much sage -  it's a bully!

• Like 1

Last night’s first rooftop basil harvest was delicious in salad, but surprisingly unnoticeable in lovely spouse’s cheesy, spicy, anchovy-laden lasagna. We’ll return to spinach or kale (neither rooftop) for its veg layer.

Yesterday’s contactless food delivery included an extra dozen eggs, and more sprouts than expected. So today’s lunch was the first egg foo young I’ve made in ten to fifteen years. Muscle memory guided my brown sauce ingredient ratio, and my high-temp frying and patting down of the omelets (stuffed with leftover chicken and roasted broccoli, and scallions/ginger/garlic/sesame seeds).

A impartial test of its deliciousness: she spat it out instantly. She HATES Chinese food except for carefully selected dim sum. If she dislikes it, either the authentic kind or the Americanized, I’m sure to love it. She’d made her own preemptive lunch, in anticipation.

BD0D7DDB-0672-43C7-933D-73E55433BDA4.jpeg

On 6/14/2020 at 3:26 PM, joethefoodie said:

IMG_1266.jpeg.263e3f14b375466f46a6f3027e23d298.jpeg

Back down to storage today, and not only did I find the 3rd bowl, but two hockmesers!

Yup, basically my mother's setup.

Here's something I've noticed:  before, when supper was always something I threw together very late at night after coming home from some kind of show, I was happiest making things I was very familiar with making.  I prized the ease, the lack of thought required.

Now that cooking dinner is an activity for me, I find that cooking things I've made many times before (as I will be doing tonight) is sort of off-putting.  There's no fun to it.  Now I feel more excited, more involved, trying new things.

I guess this isn't surprising.

49 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Now that cooking dinner is an activity for me, I find that cooking things I've made many times before (as I will be doing tonight) is sort of off-putting.  There's no fun to it.  Now I feel more excited, more involved, trying new things.

Imagine being a restaurant cook.

The question though: are the dishes consistently the same, and are they as good as they can be?

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

I find that cooking things I've made many times before (as I will be doing tonight) is sort of off-putting. There's no fun to it. 

You could make things more interesting by holding the knife in your non-dominant hand. I did this after I had my carpal tunnel surgery, and it might have been fun if it was voluntary.

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

Make it fun!

The only way I can think of to make it fun would involve inviting people over who I'm not ready to undistance with yet.

• Like 1

I think it's fun to pretend I'm featured in Great Chefs of FDR Drive and Mary Lou Conroy is explaining what I'm doing.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:38 PM, Sneakeater said:

Here's something I've noticed:  before, when supper was always something I threw together very late at night after coming home from some kind of show, I was happiest making things I was very familiar with making.  I prized the ease, the lack of thought required.

My mother, who cooked dinner 5 or 6 days a week for countless years, would certainly agree with you.

For two nights, goatballs. That would be meatballs made from two-thirds the Foxface-sourced ground goat, one third sweet sausage (the goat needs fat); oregano and minced shallots; simmered in a not-made-from-scratch marinara sauce with red wine.

Great, and I still have enough goat left for goatburger.

On 5/11/2020 at 5:53 PM, joethefoodie said:

Love those rice cakes...the OG Noodle Bar had them on the menu and they griddled them, iirc. Do you precook them, or just use them right into the dish?

Hey @joethefoodie The rice cakes are super easy.. They come vacuum sealed.. You take them out, "rinse them off" i have never and then boil for a bit until they get soft.. Then treat like a noodle..  tekkboki is so easy and rewarding, i have to make this again. 

• Like 1