17 minutes ago, voyager said:

Yikes!   Have you already gone through the sriracha you received July 29 ?

No way. It was still sitting on the counter, so it made it into this picture as well. 

• Haha 1
  • Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our last meal from someone other than me was this...     pizza from Scarr's.  Their pizza has actually gotten better, in my opinion, as they've worked the crust to near perfection for this style

Chicken in vin jaune, morels, asparagus, coucous

Yesterday was going to be outside, playing ping pong, loud music and grilled cheese burgers with beer.  With all the bad news we kicked up the burgers to wagyu burgers with onion jam, sauteed mushroom

Posted Images

On 8/6/2020 at 9:40 PM, Sneakeater said:

I've broken three wine glasses since the beginning of Quarantine.

How about you guys?

On 8/7/2020 at 7:27 AM, joethefoodie said:

Two wine glasses, a bowl, a spoon was in the blender when I turned it on, and the other day I dropped a pretty full bottle of olive oil on the floor. The bottle didn't break (thankfully), but the wooden floor has a nice bruise where the bottle landed.

Allow me to add to this - and it's a sad story. But, a full container of recently spun vanilla ice cream (it was in its ripening phase) slid out of the freezer, smashed on the floor, and my beautiful ice cream was now melting within a pile of broken glass on the nice, wooden kitchen floor. I was most unhappy that we weren't going to get to try the vanilla.

To make matters worse, who the fuck uses glass in the freezer? To make matters more worse (worser?), I had recently purchased two ice-cream specific storage containers made out of BPA-free plastic. Of course, not using them for some reason or other.

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Allow me to add to this - and it's a sad story. But, a full container of recently spun vanilla ice cream (it was in its ripening phase) slid out of the freezer, smashed on the floor, and my beautiful ice cream was now melting within a pile of broken glass on the nice, wooden kitchen floor. I was most unhappy that we weren't going to get to try the vanilla.

To make matters worse, who the fuck uses glass in the freezer? To make matters more worse (worser?), I had recently purchased two ice-cream specific storage containers made out of BPA-free plastic. Of course, not using them for some reason or other.

That's so painful - it's such an awful feeling when that happens.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:40 PM, Sneakeater said:

I've broken three wine glasses since the beginning of Quarantine.

How about you guys?

Actually, arithmetic analysis establishes it was four.

Since I had six Bordeaux glasses and now I have all of TWO.

(More on the way.) (Less painful than replacing my amplifier.)

The other night, I happened to make a few purchases. So, more Thai ingredients to add to the larder (I'm told the dried galanga is nothing like the fresh (or frozen even), but figured I'd try it):

667617879_Thaiingredients08-07IMG_1836.jpeg.3c929ffc9da89b38a639ffe9e275367b.jpeg

Then I switched gears:

207468518_Doritos08-07.jpeg.5cea10cd4eb57cc9f85150cddb1f70a5.jpeg

SKME1194.jpeg.5a6c63ef5c9e8dbc4aeade89b62523c2.jpeg

At least this way I have something for when I break the ice cream container and its contents.

I really should stay off the computer after dinner. And wine. And other stuff.

Oh - for more ice cream making...

827156887_Vanilla08-07IMG_1837.jpeg.3b9a406a3ce6338d265dbc8e36c87385.jpeg

The Villa Vainilla beans I'm really interested in trying; they're Mexican, and that's where vanilla is from. The others are just great too (I've always used these), and amazingly fragrant. Since the vanilla shortage of a few years past, the price has come back down to somewhat reasonable; the Mexican beans, in this small quantity, were $4 each, and the Bourbon beans were around $2.25.

How big is your freezer, @mitchells? 3 chickens take up a lot of space, if they're whole birds! My goal is to use up all frozen chicken, since it doesn't appear as if there's a problem getting good fresh ones.

Of course, then I'll restock it.

I have a huge stand alone freezer in my garage.  Currently lots of steaks, poussin's, a few duck breasts, chicken thighs, shrimp, assorted sausages, bacon, frozen stocks and soup. 1/2 a pastrami and a smoked pork shoulder. But down to only 2 whole chickens........

• Like 1
2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

827156887_Vanilla08-07IMG_1837.jpeg.3b9a406a3ce6338d265dbc8e36c87385.jpeg

The Villa Vainilla beans I'm really interested in trying; they're Mexican, and that's where vanilla is from. The others are just great too (I've always used these), and amazingly fragrant. Since the vanilla shortage of a few years past, the price has come back down to somewhat reasonable; the Mexican beans, in this small quantity, were $4 each, and the Bourbon beans were around $2.25.

So now you only have to take out a small mortgage? The price of beans had gotten to be obscene! Please report back on their quality because I'm in desperate need of a reasonably priced stash (my vanilla extract is running low)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

So now you only have to take out a small mortgage? The price of beans had gotten to be obscene! Please report back on their quality because I'm in desperate need of a reasonably priced stash (my vanilla extract is running low)

What's price is obscene to you? From their obscene high a couple of years ago, due to shortages caused by various problems they were having, the prices seem to have dropped a great deal.

Global vanilla prices have plunged more than 50% from their highs in 2018, according to a June 5 report from Aust & Hachmann, Mount Royal, which sources and distributes vanilla globally. The decline would have been greater if not for the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) on shopping habits and actions taken by the government of Madagascar, which produces a majority of the world’s vanilla supply.

If you can buy in bulk, they're even cheaper - maybe split 1/4 lb. with someone?

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

What's price is obscene to you? From their obscene high a couple of years ago, due to shortages caused by various problems they were having, the prices seem to have dropped a great deal.

Last time I bought beans I think they were something like $8 or $9 per bean. And to add insult, they were dry so their only use was for extract when I wanted them for preservess I didn't realize they had come down in price to such an extent. $4 each is a bargain. I'd be ok buying 1/4 on my own. The problem is storing them so they remain supple.