31 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

Have you tried the Rancho Gordo popcorn? We just made some earlier tonight for family movie night. It's our favorite! 

Tried 'em all...we kinda like the fluffy, big ass uncle orville. Back in the day...

• Like 1
  • Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our last meal from someone other than me was this...     pizza from Scarr's.  Their pizza has actually gotten better, in my opinion, as they've worked the crust to near perfection for this style

I keep telling myself age is a premium.

Yesterday was going to be outside, playing ping pong, loud music and grilled cheese burgers with beer.  With all the bad news we kicked up the burgers to wagyu burgers with onion jam, sauteed mushroom

Posted Images

I have not been to a dollar oyster happy hour in a very long time, and I miss it, and it doesn’t seem like I’m going to be able to go out to one anytime soon. So, after not having any damn raw oysters in many months, I finally took matters into my own hands and bought a dozen oysters for $12 from P.E. & D.D. Seafood.

IMG_5831.JPG

I don't have a shucking knife, because why would I, but according to SOURCES, you can use a flathead screwdriver. Well, maybe some people can. But I cannot.

IMG_5830.jpg

Except for one time.

IMG_5834.jpg

But there were 12 oysters. According to other SOURCES, you can also heat the oysters in the oven, just ‘til they open. Which is anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes, at maybe 350 and maybe 500 degrees. After which you can pry them open with a butter knife. Anyway, the result did not meet all my oyster needs, but it wasn't nothing, and I came away from this experiment with greater respect for the oyster shuckers of the world.

IMG_5838.jpg

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, small h said:

I have not been to a dollar oyster happy hour in a very long time, and I miss it, and it doesn’t seem like I’m going to be able to go out to one anytime soon. So, after not having any damn raw oysters in many months, I finally took matters into my own hands and bought a dozen oysters for $12 from P.E. & D.D. Seafood.

IMG_5831.JPG

I don't have a shucking knife, because why would I, but according to SOURCES, you can use a flathead screwdriver. Well, maybe some people can. But I cannot.

IMG_5830.jpg

Except for one time.

IMG_5834.jpg

But there were 12 oysters. According to other SOURCES, you can also heat the oysters in the oven, just ‘til they open. Which is anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes, at maybe 350 and maybe 500 degrees. After which you can pry them open with a butter knife. Anyway, the result did not meet all my oyster needs, but it wasn't nothing, and I came away from this experiment with greater respect for the oyster shuckers of the world.

IMG_5838.jpg

I find farmer's market oysters very hard to shuck - even with a shucking knife!

24 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

I find farmer's market oysters very hard to shuck - even with a shucking knife!

You have no idea how happy this makes me (not that you have a hard time, rather that it isn't just me). My friend in San Francisco, on the other hand, told me he just shucked four dozen oysters this past Friday. He's 6'4" and 200+ lbs, though, so he's somewhat more powerful than I am.

re oysters, Julia swore by a church key beer opener.    I use an oyster knife...or put them in a cast iron frying pan on stovetop.    There is great variation in their willingness to give it up depending on the variety of oyster.

Thanks for the church key idea. And I can attest to the variations in oyster stubbornness. Some of them opened in 3:00 at 350, the rest took took a lot more convincing. I watched a bunch of "how-to" videos, but I couldn't replicate the first step: finding the teeniest bit of space to wedge the screwdriver into the hinge. Like braiding challah, I might need someone to actually show me this technique in person.

7 hours ago, small h said:

You have no idea how happy this makes me (not that you have a hard time, rather that it isn't just me). My friend in San Francisco, on the other hand, told me he just shucked four dozen oysters this past Friday. He's 6'4" and 200+ lbs, though, so he's somewhat more powerful than I am.

2 hours ago, voyager said:

re oysters, Julia swore by a church key beer opener.    I use an oyster knife...or put them in a cast iron frying pan on stovetop.    There is great variation in their willingness to give it up depending on the variety of oyster.

The East coast oysters @small h and I have problems with are probably Blue Points.  They're tight - and I often crack the damn shells. Church key ain't getting in there, but an oyster knife, and patience, can help.

3 hours ago, Evelyn said:

JTF-How about Anson Mills popcorn? It's good!

I've tried that one too. My biggest problem with the fancy popcorns is how much stays unpopped compared to Orville. I had some fancy popcorn from Vermont, from the midwest, etc. etc. I think there's a reason Orville is Orville...it's classic movie theatre popcorn from when one could go to the movies, and the popcorn was worthy.

31 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

I've tried that one too. My biggest problem with the fancy popcorns is how much stays unpopped compared to Orville. I had some fancy popcorn from Vermont, from the midwest, etc. etc. I think there's a reason Orville is Orville...it's classic movie theatre popcorn from when one could go to the movies, and the popcorn was worthy.

Orville rocks.    Puffy and of good flavor.    Few "old maids".    Why worry other  brands.

My first ten-pound bag of Dawaat basmati was superbly flavorful and fragrant. The second, utterly tasteless -- maybe aged longer than the two years boasted on the packaging. Throwing it out felt so wasteful.

Now I'm enjoying five pounds of Super Lucky Elephant jasmine, good enough. I would like to find great rice again before the next round of long national nightmare.

2 hours ago, Josh Karpf said:

My first ten-pound bag of Dawaat basmati was superbly flavorful and fragrant. The second, utterly tasteless -- maybe aged longer than the two years boasted on the packaging. Throwing it out felt so wasteful.

Now I'm enjoying five pounds of Super Lucky Elephant jasmine, good enough. I would like to find great rice again before the next round of long national nightmare.

Carolina Gold! Geechie or Carolina Plantation is good stuff.

But thanks for the update on the Dawaat, which I was going to purchase.  They show 2 variations, one with the long age, which I guess I should avoid?