Corona Virus Cooking

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our last meal from someone other than me was this...     pizza from Scarr's.  Their pizza has actually gotten better, in my opinion, as they've worked the crust to near perfection for this style

Chicken in vin jaune, morels, asparagus, coucous

Flammenkuchen  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

@joethefoodie- my suggestion to try making blintzes.

1 hour ago, voyager said:

Simply crepes cooked on just one side.

Well yes, the crepe is cooked on one side (and probably sweetened more than the "French" style crepes I made. But then they are filled, rolled/folded, and then fried on both sides.

2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Well yes, the crepe is cooked on one side (and probably sweetened more than the "French" style crepes I made. But then they are filled, rolled/folded, and then fried on both sides.

Quite right.    But the "case" is really just a crepe cousin.

On 12/28/2020 at 10:06 AM, joethefoodie said:

Almost real mirin, and maybe @Orik knows if and where I can get real mirin locally?

The Takara Masamune mirin is okay and it's real in the sense that it's made with sake and has about 12% alcohol (so remember to burn it off unless you're looking for the kick). I don't know if anyone is importing hon mirin and it'd be pretty expensive, but for best result you can just add sugar syrup to decent sake (or shochu). Note that it will eventually go bad once you open it (a few weeks in the fridge) so if you're not a heavy user I'd consider freezing mirin cubes.

Also I sometimes use sweetened fino for a more western profile and I wish I knew more about Chinese cooking wines. 

• Thanks 1
On 4/25/2020 at 2:04 AM, Behemoth said:

Tubbs do you use semolina as well as AP flour in your dough? Fresh pasta from just AP I don't like at all. It needs the semolina to give it texture, but then its great. 

I’ve recently started making pasta 50/50 AP/semolina.  I’m very happy with the results.  It’s still quite a chore and a mess, and this other person that lives in my apartment complains incessantly about flour everywhere.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Orik said:

The Takara Masamune mirin is okay and it's real in the sense that it's made with sake and has about 12% alcohol (so remember to burn it off unless you're looking for the kick). I don't know if anyone is importing hon mirin and it'd be pretty expensive, but for best result you can just add sugar syrup to decent sake (or shochu). Note that it will eventually go bad once you open it (a few weeks in the fridge) so if you're not a heavy user I'd consider freezing mirin cubes.

Also I sometimes use sweetened fino for a more western profile and I wish I knew more about Chinese cooking wines. 

Great idea there; and it can made in fairly small quantities...almost when needed. Would you say like 3:1 sake to simple?

No experience with the Ohsawa? I was probably suckered into buying by that prick Kimball! Also bought the Eden at the same time...this...

image.thumb.png.630e5209ca96d0885d614164d919f5a8.png

As far as I know about Chinese cooking wines, the garbage stuff in the grocery stores has salt and other stuff added.  There's a nice liquor store (I'm pretty sure it was on Grand (like Eldridge to Forsythe) that sells Shaoxing wine for drinking, and they must have a dozen varieties on the shelves. I bought some moderately priced stuff and it works fine for cooking (never really drank it).

Interesting too, about the sherry. All the old Chinese cookbooks I have (stuff written for the US) says to use pale dry sherry as the sub for Shaoxing, so there's definitely something analogous to using the fino as a sub for mirin.

1 hour ago, Anthony Bonner said:

Explains an issue I had a few weeks ago. A recipe calling for me to burn off the alcohol from my tare with all kinds of warnings about controlling the flames - and I just could not get it to light...

As an aside to getting something to light...made bananas foster a few weeks ago; poured the alcohol into the pan (off the heat, of course) and then touched it back to the burner - sucker lit up alright, right up through the charcoal filter in the range hood, burning a hole in it and cause little pieces of charcoal to end up all over the place. Bananas foster was great.

• Like 1

Admittedly I'm a Philistine, but it is the constant upping the game, approaching one-upsmanship, that I find off-putting.   Learning and stretching are admirable.   But the "Well, that's okay but you should really be using  XYZ" that I find odious.  We learn from others' experience, but that experience shouldn't negate our own.   But then, I'm at the end of my game and haven't the blood-lust need for running with the big dogs.

8 hours ago, voyager said:

Admittedly I'm a Philistine, but it is the constant upping the game, approaching one-upsmanship, that I find off-putting.   Learning and stretching are admirable.   But the "Well, that's okay but you should really be using  XYZ" that I find odious.  We learn from others' experience, but that experience shouldn't negate our own.   But then, I'm at the end of my game and haven't the blood-lust need for running with the big dogs.

I don't think it has anything to do with your alleged one-upsmanship.

In this case (the mirin drama, as you might call it), what I'm simply trying to do with my cooking is approach what might be considered (and here's the word that some love to hate) authenticity.

And actually, I don't give a shit what anyone else uses...I'm eating my food, not theirs.

• Like 1