Corona Virus Cooking

11 hours ago, voyager said:

Admittedly I'm a Philistine, but it is the constant upping the game, approaching one-upsmanship, that I find off-putting.   Learning and stretching are admirable.   But the "Well, that's okay but you should really be using  XYZ" that I find odious.  We learn from others' experience, but that experience shouldn't negate our own.   But then, I'm at the end of my game and haven't the blood-lust need for running with the big dogs.

We just don't share your natural talent so we have to compensate by trying hard. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our last meal from someone other than me was this...     pizza from Scarr's.  Their pizza has actually gotten better, in my opinion, as they've worked the crust to near perfection for this style

I keep telling myself age is a premium.

Quick rundown of the products we liked/didn't like from home deliveries which we started mid-March: Dartagan:  Love: Quail, poussin, lamb sirloin, duck breast, Green Circle Chicken, Merguez Sausa

Posted Images

I suppose this belongs here, because in the absence of guests I have been working through a whole Rohan duck by myself. Breast and a leg on Christmas Day, same again on what I insist on calling Boxing Day. Next day, duck tacos. A couple of days later, the rest of the breast and other bits and pieces in a sauce I'd actually made for short ribs (on the day in between). And I still have two meaty wings in the freezer.

It didn't look that big.

In my continuing quest to become French, I tried my hand at the savory buckwheat crepe, known as Galettes Bretonnes/galette au sarrasin. (Not even a week after my semi-successful attempt at the crêpe known as the crêpe de froment (the white flour crêpe)). It wasn't the Lebovitz recipe I tried, though my first attempt sure looked like his did...

image.png.2bcb6cb7967bd77f4e6678aad35139ac.png

No, it was the really pimped up recipe from Serious Eats, so I could make a crepe which looked like this one...

image.png.d2ae9193a96c1ab5ba710dcf579efa4a.png

Climbing up to a top shelf, I dragged down my other French crêpe pan, made of carbon steel, and once again spent some time cleaning and re-seasoning it. And went at it...

402155121_Crepebuckwheat12-31.thumb.jpeg.ec9fdad8d35c443de021b6c9ef072a01.jpeg

1322136938_Crepebuckwheatfolded01-01.thumb.jpeg.f8127af13398c46036d8e7d3d618b61c.jpeg

After both Significant Eater and I had eaten 3 crêpes a piece, two with jambon et fromage and one with the addition of an egg, I called it a morning. These are a little bit tougher, and will take more practice than the white flour ones, but I'm having some fun in the kitchen playing French.

1493039791_Crepebuckwheatjambonetfromage01-01.thumb.jpeg.7b16028af3dca16d5c01c2836d363b28.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, voyager said:

So your recipe for buckwheat crepe batter includes an egg?

Not my recipe by any stretch of the imagination...

• 150g buckwheat flour (5.3 ounces; about 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons)
  • 100g all-purpose flour (3.5 ounces; about 3/4 cup, spooned)
  • 7g kosher salt (1/4 ounce; about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
  • 1 large egg
  • 300ml (1 1/4 cups) whole milk
  • 325ml (1 1/3 cups) water
  • Unsalted butter, for cooking
  • Optional: fried eggs, grated Gruyère cheese, and thinly sliced ham, for filling

Recipes for galettes certainly run the gamut.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/05/savory-buckwheat-crepes-galettes-bretonnes-recipe.html

• Like 1

I was told by the good people at Cafe Breizh (who also use milk and eggs but no wheat flour) that resting the batter makes the galettes go brown instead of grey, and also helps digestion. I assume they know what they're talking about. 

Also you could achieve the goals of the SE recipe (easier to manage, less breakable batter) with more buckwheat flavor by going all buckwheat and adding about 10 grams vital wheat gluten instead of wheat flour. 

• Like 1

Lebovitz has been invited into the kitchen at Breizh to try his hand. The recipe in his My Paris Kitchen alludes to them, and is 100% buckwheat, eggs, and water.

And he writes that the true recipe from Breizh is simply buckwheat flour and water. But he couldn't get that to work, so maybe they were bsing him 😉 .

18 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Lebovitz has been invited into the kitchen at Breizh to try his hand. The recipe in his My Paris Kitchen alludes to them, and is 100% buckwheat, eggs, and water.

And he writes that the true recipe from Breizh is simply buckwheat flour and water. But he couldn't get that to work, so maybe they were bsing him 😉 .

Yeah I was responding to the statements in the SE article that they didn't see a difference from resting the batter, and that their goal was to get a manageable batter. My suggestion of gluten instead of flour is derived from the trend in soba noodle making where there are similar issues. 

• Like 1