Corona Virus Cooking

A jaunt over to one of my favorite restaurants turned market on Saturday, netted me this...

IMG_3433.thumb.jpeg.0ec2aa4590714542621b102e94bf277e.jpeg

Hudson Valley Fisheries steelhead trout, a dozen Carolina head-on prawns, NY grass-fed strip steak, spigarello, and Page mandarins. (I think the spiagarello is even cleaned - a bonus!).

Made a lovely fumet with the shells, and gently poached the prawns in that - man, they are good.

• Like 1
  • Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our last meal from someone other than me was this...     pizza from Scarr's.  Their pizza has actually gotten better, in my opinion, as they've worked the crust to near perfection for this style

Chicken in vin jaune, morels, asparagus, coucous

I finally made really good fries at home. so exciting.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Something about the snow made me crave hot borscht with sour cream. Fortunately I had beets in the house.

I always thought hot borscht was fleishig and cold borscht was milchig.  Guess there are exceptions. 🙂

12 hours ago, StephanieL said:

I always thought hot borscht was fleishig and cold borscht was milchig.  Guess there are exceptions. 🙂

I made a meatless one. Typically, hot borscht has flanken, which is also delicious.

• 1 month later...

This Year Of Quarantine Cooking, with its new availability of restaurant-quality ingredients to home chefs, has me reflecting that the old saw that chefs are only as good as their ingredients has it exactly backwards.  An excellent cook can make good food from even indifferent ingredients.  But any old schlumpf can make something pretty great out of excellent ingredients.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:30 AM, joethefoodie said:

Hudson Valley Fisheries steelhead trout

What's interesting to me about that (EXCELLENT) trout is that the fillets they sell at my neighborhood fishmonger seem to be nicer than the ones the fishery sells directly at the Greenmarket.  Is it just the packaging?  I wonder.

7 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

What's interesting to me about that (EXCELLENT) trout is that the fillets they sell at my neighborhood fishmonger seem to be nicer than the ones the fishery sells directly at the Greenmarket.  Is it just the packaging?  I wonder.

I bought some at the Greenmarket which had been smoked; I've never bought the fresh at Greenmarket. Does it come vacuum packed? Because maybe that damages it a bit; certainly the fillet I bought yesterday at Cervo's is beautiful.

I should add that, as to smoked steelhead (as distinct from fresh), I assume my fishmonger smokes the smoked steelhead they sell themselves, as it not only is infinitely better than the smoked trout the fishery sells directly at the Greenmarket, but doesn't even resemble it.