Restaurants in a post-coronavirus world

11 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Here's something that has me concerned about the future of solo bar dining.

Knowing my affection for solo bar dining, Gage & Tollner has highly touted to me their newly opened-to-dining dining room bar.

But you know what they've done to accommodate bar dining in a not-yet-post-COVID world?

They attached a line of two-top table pods to the bar.  That's where you sit.  So eating at the bar is just like eating at a table.  It is no different, in terms of interaction with the staff and other bar diners -- of not feeling like you're dining by yourself -- from sitting alone at a two-top in the dining room.

I hope this isn't the wave of the future.

I've experienced the double pods at the bar. It didn't bother me, of course, because I'm unfriendly. But I don't see it persisting unless there's a setback with the vaccines.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am really nervous about what I am seeing out on the streets lately.. What I can only describe as absolutely piggish and gross behavior by certain restaurant owners..  Every neighborhoods has these r

Normalcy is measured by the reaction to seeing a wolf but also in the reaction to not seeing it.

Rich - The above is what you wrote and I highlighted the term "post-Corona" in both your posts.  That is all that was being responded to, in context, by Orik, me and then others.  No attempt was made

Posted Images

I had reasons to be in Manhattan yesterday and sure it was a beautiful day in May, but the difference between March (my last visit - depressing, still feeling diminished) and yesterday was incredible.   You could almost feel the excitement at the unmasking. Also getting rid of city streets/outdoor dining would just be such a mistake from a quality of life perspective. It even has nice traffic calming impacts.  I'm sure this is confirming my own priors but City felt like it was just waiting to explode.

I walked by Julius - a bar I've never been inside of, but just the dive bar smell made me feel giddy.  And now they have a little pile of tables set up on a leafy bit of Waverly place.

I was in the WVill and Midtown. (Midtown still pretty dead, but that always sucks no?)

ETA: I'm going to be coming into the office 1-2 days a week for the summer and Mrs AB is going to be coming in 1 day a week to see customers.

• Like 1

For now it's like that Thu-Sun, and the city has adopted hipster Monday as an official holiday, but I'm sure that'll change with tourists and offices. 

59 minutes ago, Orik said:

But definitely Florida continues to win. YoY Opentable data for yesterday.

image.png.8ab3be54796e384c0189ac252beee4e6.png

So I learned yesterday that the flow miaml  ->nyc is so one sided for the uhnw crowd that you can get a very big discount if you want to fly private nyc -> Miami 

SF is so genuinely weird - everyone is walking around with masks, if not double masks, outdoors even though there are basically no cases, but as soon as you sit down at a restaurant you become safe for the duration.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Orik said:

SF is so genuinely weird - everyone is walking around with masks, if not double masks, outdoors even though there are basically no cases, but as soon as you sit down at a restaurant you become safe for the duration.

We've always been a bit paranoid out here.    Thank goodness.

Current numbers...

New York  Coronavirus Cases:  2,154,931   Deaths:  53,629    Recovered: 1,725,124

California - Cases: 3,685, 916   Deaths:  62,044

You guys are winning.

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

Current numbers...

New York  Coronavirus Cases:  2,154,931   Deaths:  53,629    Recovered: 1,725,124

California - Cases: 3,685, 916   Deaths:  62,044

You guys are winning.

No not since we figured out the mask/social distancing thing they aren't.  Look at the data by month. 

10 hours ago, voyager said:

We've always been a bit paranoid out here.    Thank goodness.

Normalcy is measured by the reaction to seeing a wolf but also in the reaction to not seeing it. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1