Restaurants in a post-coronavirus world

12 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

No not since we figured out the mask/social distancing thing they aren't.  Look at the data by month. 

I actually think we agree, as I'm being facetious or snide with the whole winning thing.

Cali is much worse than NY.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am really nervous about what I am seeing out on the streets lately.. What I can only describe as absolutely piggish and gross behavior by certain restaurant owners..  Every neighborhoods has these r

Normalcy is measured by the reaction to seeing a wolf but also in the reaction to not seeing it.

Rich - The above is what you wrote and I highlighted the term "post-Corona" in both your posts.  That is all that was being responded to, in context, by Orik, me and then others.  No attempt was made

Posted Images

First meal out in 15 months.   Cabeza tacos at Morenita Taco truck, Lodi, CA.    Heaven!   Huge and juicy.  Needed a bath afterwards. 

1642661504_ScreenShot2021-06-06at1_55_54PM.thumb.png.f243e3b394fdb7669ab378a122768ed7.png

Then a couple of miles down hiway 12 for a "dessert" of Bing Cherries..   Both worth the wait.

474583716_ScreenShot2021-06-06at1_56_32PM.thumb.png.c5da8d8dfa6e9f4f2767d5c5ab2e7cf7.png

2 lbs/$5.    Half an hour off the tree.

This is our fourth batch from these people, and the last.    They told me there were only 4 days left to picking.   Really nice people and superb fruit.    Next apricots, and after that peaches.

I went to a Michelin-starred restaurant last night.  (I'm not identifying the restaurant cuz I want to make clear that this isn't a complaint, but rather an observation that something that many of us feared would happen has actually happened.)

The wine list was a joke.  It wasn't that there was nothing you'd want to drink; it was that there was nothing to drink, period.  There were one, maybe two, maybe three, at most four options in each category -- and many categories were simply absent.

Like, would you believe that a French-oriented restaurant known for a duck dish had no Burgundies at all on its main list -- and only one Burgundy on its "reserve" list, for $400?  And only three or four (all relatively expensive) American Pinot Noirs?

I didn't ask -- I couldn't think of a non-awkward way to do so -- but I'm fairly certain that what happened is that they sold off their wine cellar to make it through the Lockdown, and haven't yet restocked.

I was afraid we'd be seeing this.

Has anyone else?

of course they did. I'm going to a place out here tonight I'm also very certain did the same thing. Like they were liquidating it through their website most of the winter. 

Its a pretty reasonable strategy really.

I've seen some wine list shrinkage, but more obviously the labor intensive places have seriously reduced the number of markings. Sometimes the result is not enough food (e.g. Aska, at least some months ago) and others it just means fewer, larger dishes. For example, our recent excellent meal at Manresa had 11 courses vs 15 pre-Covid and I think about the same amount of food. 

On the labor side of thing. Dinner tonight was supposed to be outside. Got a call asking if they could move inside due to t-storms in forecast.  Of course but if no t-storms would like to be outside. Not possible, not enough FoH.