Restaurants in a post-coronavirus world

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you aren't telling strangers you are "Vaxxed and Waxed and ready for action?"

If I see steaks on the hoof, asking me to choose them for dinner, I'm outta here.

Rich - The above is what you wrote and I highlighted the term "post-Corona" in both your posts.  That is all that was being responded to, in context, by Orik, me and then others.  No attempt was made

Posted Images

The famous basketball player Bob Cousy went to my high school. He was there years before I was. Acc. to Wiki, he’s still alive, age 93. 

Several well-known people went to Michael’s high school: Ruth Badger Ginsburg, Bernie Sanders, and Charles Shumer. Though Sanders was there at the same time as Michael, he didn’t know him.

Joyce Kilmer graduated from my school, and Keisha Knight-Pulliam was in the Lower School when I was in the Upper School.

Spike Lee was two classes below my uncle in high school.

Nathan Englander (novelist) was two years behind me. A friend was cleaning out her mom's basement recently and she found our elementary school magazine. She sent me a screen shot of an essay he wrote - he did not show any literary talent as a first grader.

Once I went to one of those Hong Kong Film Festivals they used to have at the Quad.  After I sat down, I couldn't help but notice that the person sitting next to me was Lou Reed.

I was about to tell him that we went to the same high school.  But I have never felt such intense hostility radiating from a person in my life.  So I thought the better of it.

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2022 at 11:23 AM, rozrapp said:

The famous basketball player Bob Cousy went to my high school. He was there years before I was. Acc. to Wiki, he’s still alive, age 93. 

Several well-known people went to Michael’s high school: Ruth Badger Ginsburg, Bernie Sanders, and Charles Shumer. Though Sanders was there at the same time as Michael, he didn’t know him.

Huh.  Didn't know he went to Madison HS.  I went to Midwood, home of Woody Allen.  Years before me of course.

• 1 month later...

Resy grew substantially during covid (by offering free services, and then more free services) and as we know restaurants have turned to using notify to deal with more fickle diners. Opentable still ~37% down in nyc (vs 37% up in Miami) 

I'd be surprised by any number that isn't about 40% in gross receipts (and let's not forget prices are up)

Obviously I noticed I am using Resy much more as a customer than Open Table.

And it’s not just because Open Table disgracefully expired my dining points during lockdown. I need to find time to gripe to them about that. 

I've never cashed in Open Table or similar restaurant reservation points.    Airlines, absolutely and greedily.   But those are directly affiliated with the offering company while pinching a restaurant seems kinda sleazy to me.    Particularly considering the kinds of small chef/owner rooms we patronize, here and in France.    In fact, we bend over backwards to make sure they are getting their fair cut.   Like paying in cash.