Restaurants in a post-coronavirus world

On 4/1/2020 at 4:27 PM, Rich said:

Why would anyone assume there will be restaurants in a post-Corona world? We may get so used to not having them, that we may realize we don't need them.

Yeah because people are reeeeeally keen on staying home keeping their distance. 

995876842_IMG_20200516_162434_MP(1).thumb.jpg.cf11f2224d8b633f3566014a11f79f64.jpg182569593_IMG_20200516_162401_MP(1).thumb.jpg.46d6a3a46058cb4a7b1637855bc63eba.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rich - The above is what you wrote and I highlighted the term "post-Corona" in both your posts.  That is all that was being responded to, in context, by Orik, me and then others.  No attempt was made

No, because I don't think the restaurant industry (at least in NYC) is fueled by people like you and me and the rest of us here.  It's fueled by people who are desperate to get out of their apartments

I am really nervous about what I am seeing out on the streets lately.. What I can only describe as absolutely piggish and gross behavior by certain restaurant owners..  Every neighborhoods has these r

Posted Images

Yeah, I loved the Wisconsin guy who quipped re bars opening up this week, "Hey, I really love my fiancé, but we can only take so much of each other."

Mm, I don’t have photos/video but my daughter does of hordes of young people acting “normal” in Washington and Tompkins Sq parks. No police presence, I assume because the NYPD is like “oh everybody hates us.”

Also, with the weather change, many bars around the EV serving through the window (a couple did it even in the cold weather), and we saw places in the WV serving customers seated outside.

The clarity of what is permitted and what constraints will be enforced is diminished. 

8 minutes ago, voyager said:

Yeah, I loved the Wisconsin guy who quipped re bars opening up this week, "Hey, I really love my fiancé, but we can only take so much of each other."

I don’t want to seem unduly harsh about areas of the country I’ve been forced to visit, but there are cities in Wisconsin where the difference between open and closed seems moot.

🤣

There are certainly a few regulatory agencies that will have to answer some questions after this - the SLA mandate was you have to sell food with the drinks and you can't sell to the street in an open container and here we are. There are no DOH inspections and yet we see no foodborne illness outbreaks... 

Ive had chats with a few big grocers ex-US in the last week.  One of the points they've made is that they were basically forced to run a ton of behavioral experiments around consumer behavior that three months ago they would have done one at a time over a period of years, and some of them they would never have been brave enough to try.  The conclusion wasnt necessarily positive - more like there were lots of things they'd been doing that probably have no value and some things they should have started doing years ago if it weren't for inertia.

Pretty interesting conversation I thought.  Also there are some formats like hard discount that turns out are terrible when people only want to go one place.  That'll come back but when the UK grocers are doing DD comps Aldi and Lidl are comping negatively.

The tiki bar in Alameda that we frequent on occasion has started offering premade cocktails to go (in 2- and 4-serving sizes), but you have to buy food with them that apparently is more substantial than a bag of chips.  So they went with the fried stuff they usually sell, not really thinking that their one fryer was going to have to provide food for every single person, not just the few who wanted snacks with the drinks.  On Day 2 of this little experiment, the wait to pick up the stuff we all had preordered (and had chosen a pickup time for) was nearly an hour and a half.  The drink was great, but unless they start offering sandwiches or figure out the kinks somehow I'm going to break out the Trader Vic's book I have and make my own tiki drinks.

14 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Mm, I don’t have photos/video but my daughter does of hordes of young people acting “normal” in Washington and Tompkins Sq parks. No police presence, I assume because the NYPD is like “oh everybody hates us.”

Also, with the weather change, many bars around the EV serving through the window (a couple did it even in the cold weather), and we saw places in the WV serving customers seated outside.

The clarity of what is permitted and what constraints will be enforced is diminished. 

The constraints will be ones I place on myself and significant eater. Because that seems to be the way this is gonna go.

19 hours ago, StephanieL said:

The tiki bar in Alameda that we frequent on occasion has started offering premade cocktails to go (in 2- and 4-serving sizes), but you have to buy food with them that apparently is more substantial than a bag of chips.  So they went with the fried stuff they usually sell, not really thinking that their one fryer was going to have to provide food for every single person, not just the few who wanted snacks with the drinks.  On Day 2 of this little experiment, the wait to pick up the stuff we all had preordered (and had chosen a pickup time for) was nearly an hour and a half.  The drink was great, but unless they start offering sandwiches or figure out the kinks somehow I'm going to break out the Trader Vic's book I have and make my own tiki drinks.

Have you been back to that bar we went to? I am thinking no.

9 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

The constraints will be ones I place on myself and significant eater. Because that seems to be the way this is gonna go.

And this is of course what will make of break the return of restaurants.    

At this point, I don't see the "value added" of a restaurant meal.    For us, while quality of food was the criteria for our choice of venue, the interaction with staff contributed enormously to our enjoyment.    Chatting up The Lone Ranger seems pretty weird.    $200 for a simple meal I could approximate at home cuts it only if charity for the restaurant is your goal.

• Like 1

Karen Karp: Estimates show 30-60 percent of New York City restaurants to close permanently; she thinks around 30 percent is the best estimate.

ETA: Here's the link to the discussion referenced. It's all interesting, but the restaurant part starts about 20 minutes in. 

But in the end that's a little meaningless.  Eventually they'll be replaced.  Important for the owners of those restaurants, but maybe not so much (in the long run) to consumers.