Restaurants in a post-coronavirus world

8 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Wow.  Interestingly, and obviously different fields, she's getting more work done than before. There even seems to be a fair amount of hiring going on, whether it's backfill or new positions.

Less interruptions, maybe? Food delivered straight to her table, maybe?

And much of the work force already works remotely, so that's also a reason why it hasn't negatively affected them, I think. Everyone is used to it, and already equipped for it.

I think it depends on the work ethos of the office.   If management is invasive in staff time, useless meetings,, etc, then working from home may well be more productive.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rich - The above is what you wrote and I highlighted the term "post-Corona" in both your posts.  That is all that was being responded to, in context, by Orik, me and then others.  No attempt was made

No, because I don't think the restaurant industry (at least in NYC) is fueled by people like you and me and the rest of us here.  It's fueled by people who are desperate to get out of their apartments

I am really nervous about what I am seeing out on the streets lately.. What I can only describe as absolutely piggish and gross behavior by certain restaurant owners..  Every neighborhoods has these r

Posted Images

Work-from-home evangelist discovers what home is actually like:

https://news.stanford.edu/2020/03/30/productivity-pitfalls-working-home-age-covid-19/

At least as far as any field I've ever been involved with is concerned, the key factor isn't the cornucopia of interruptions home life offers most people of working age, but (also mentioned in the paper) rather a breakdown in the creative / innovative cycle, and in management's ability to keep steering it in the right direction. 

• 2 weeks later...

3 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

So I have no idea what their penetration in Germany is like or if they have same weird skew but open table bookings there are now flat y/y

That seems weird. Maybe they increased their coverage to new cities this year? I have to say, I don't think most bookings are made via Open Table, at least I don't know a lot of locals who use it. 

• 1 month later...

I am really nervous about what I am seeing out on the streets lately.. What I can only describe as absolutely piggish and gross behavior by certain restaurant owners..  Every neighborhoods has these restaurants where people have decided to gather and act irresponsibly.  And it's funny because often times, these restaurants were empty and not noticeably busy until the pandemic.  But, now they are stuffed to the gills on the sidewalk, people without masks, people not seated, people literally unmasked and on top of each other... And they are just bars now, selling whatever cheap ass frozen drink or shot special they are peddling.  On my walk last night, there were multiple times, I didn't even feel safe walking on the same side of the street as these restaurants as people are just taking up the whole sidewalk, smoking, drinking, hugging, all unmasked and not distanced.  

This vegan restaurant across the street from me.. A vegan restaurant.. They own a gluten free vegan bakery too.. So, they care more about fucking gluten than they do about the corona virus.. Like, literally, if you walked into their place with a hamburger they would care more than if you were smoking cigarettes on top of 10 of your friends while drinking in the middle of the street. They served passed 11, they are on the street, the sidewalk..  Walked by Bar Tabac last night, some shitty brunch french place.. It looked like fucking mardi gras outside..  Last night we walked by a thai restaurant, Kor Tor Mor,  it was late and there was no one sitting outside.. I was like great, lets grab a quick bite.. All the tables were dirty.. I asked for the table to by wiped before we sat.. The fucking woman comes out with a terry cloth towel.. I ask for the table to be sprayed down, use some sani wipes, something like that.. She replies, we do not have santizer here?  Wait, so you don't sanitize in between guests?  No, we dont have any cleaning chemicals here..   Well, that was a quick easy decision to never go there again.   A pretty shitty falafel place in my neighborhood.. i went a few years ago, it's always empty, how are they in business.. Well, go by now and it's again, spring break.  What the hell is going on? 

I don't know, it's so scary out there right now. just venting, it's just shameful to see these people act with such disregard for their customers, their staff and more importantly the community at large. I am just disappointed and I don't know why because the majority of people suck and it's been proven to me every step of the way.  I expect corporations to kill people, or to act in a way that has no regard for human life.. But, this is happening on a local level, this is happening from people in the community and it's just a slap in the face and is undoing all the fucking time we wasted these last 4 months.  I am no snitch, i believe in personal freedoms more than the next person but, there should be a hotline for this.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Daniel said:

On my walk last night, there were multiple times, I didn't even feel safe walking on the same side of the street as these restaurants as people are just taking up the whole sidewalk, smoking, drinking, hugging, all unmasked and not distanced.  

Oh man, I cross the street back and forth and forth and back constantly on my walks.

11 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Oh man, I cross the street back and forth and forth and back constantly on my walks.

We do too.   But also people coming toward us step into the street.    There is a measure of civility here.   

It takes two to dance the tango Daniel describes.    Of course the proprietors are wrong, but what don't customers get?    Why are they demanding or accepting these conditions from food/beverage houses?      Have they no other concept of a life than needing to hang out in a bar?     And I know the answer.    

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

II am no snitch, i believe in personal freedoms more than the next person but, there should be a hotline for this.    

I'm sure there is.   Investigate and post it.  

2 hours ago, StephanieL said:

I'm really sorry Daniel, particularly since you're in what was the epicenter.  But if none of those people's friends or family are dying.....

I've known about 8 people who have died from this... So, i don't really know how you can tell who has infected who, who is dead now, who will die down the road from some undiagnosed complication.. If some little date rapey douche is out on smith street, who knows how far that infection can go.. .I think they say each person infects about 150 people or can, or maybe I made that up.. there are laws and rules.. and I normally say fuck the laws and rules because they are just man made arbitrary restrictions for the most part.. But like, wearing a mask so you dont breathe germs or spit germs on someone kind of makes perfect sense to me before corona..I am an atheist... And I often hear people talk about religion in the same way, i feel about masks.. Even if you don't believe, it's still good to hedge your bets..  And I say, I would much rather take my chances in not believing in god than not believing that a physical barrier placed in front of your face, will help prevent the transmission of an infectious disease.  what is a mask but a yamaka for your face.  

And to reply to those on the other end of your spectrum, I would remind them that God helps those who help themselves.    Buy a lottery ticket; wear a mask.

And I would ask: what do you lose by wearing a mask?  A little bit of physical discomfort?  "Giving in" to someone telling you what to do?  Or is it an acknowledgment that there's something scary and unsure out there, and this is the only bit of control you have?

14 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

And I would ask: what do you lose by wearing a mask?  A little bit of physical discomfort?  "Giving in" to someone telling you what to do?  Or is it an acknowledgment that there's something scary and unsure out there, and this is the only bit of control you have?

Maybe you've nailed just about all of the objections.