Sign in to follow this  
Stone

Carbon Steel Pans

I think one of the keys with seasoning these type of pans is getting all of the manufacturer's schmutz off of it before starting.

That, and using not so much oil to season it. 

One of my carbon steel pans has all the area that doesn’t seem to be getting seasoned.  Just ignore it?  Start over?

D7B13B50-747A-40C9-9972-528741D7C452.jpeg

My cast iron skillets are so seasoned that I don't think The Sword Of God could penetrate the layers of entrenched fat.

10 hours ago, Stone said:

One of my carbon steel pans has all the area that doesn’t seem to be getting seasoned.  Just ignore it?  Start over?

D7B13B50-747A-40C9-9972-528741D7C452.jpeg

6 hours ago, mongo_jones said:

ignore, keep going. it'll catch up.

Agreed, but what are you cleaning that thing with?

Deglaze with water and a gentle plastic scrubber.  No soap. (Radio)

but someone did a pan sauce with a good bit of lemon juice.  And another with chunks of tomato.  

Maybe just water and paper towels for a while until you build up some schmutz.    Remember that great-grandma had no detergent, only bar soap, and her frying pans were used for that, frying.    The best and fastest seasoning I created was on a dedicated crepe pan.    Oiled and heated after every crepe, so essentially a dozen times per use, and never washing in anything but water.   

2 hours ago, Stone said:

but someone did a pan sauce with a good bit of lemon juice.  

that'll do it. 

• Like 2

My favorite things about skillets is that my general sloth with regard to cleaning actually makes them better.

But what I find myself doing is using my copper-core (stainless steel surfaced) pans for all my cooking involving deglazing/pan gravies with tomatoes or wines or vinegars or other acids, and my beloved old (inherited from my wife) cast iron skillets for the cooking of pure MEAT.

In my marriage, my job was to do the washing, since it was clear to all that my wife was by far the better and more attentive cook.

And one of my happiest days was when she explained to me that you don't use soap to clean cast-iron skillets, because you actually want there be a build-up.  Whoa.

Yesterday I made my eggs in the carbon steel, with some schmaltz.  Non-stick and smooth as glass.  This morning, stick!   
I cleaned yesterday with water and then dried and rubbed in some oil (very little).  I notice that sometimes after rubbing in the oil, the surface is a bit tacky.

6E2B6626-BCC4-4800-B751-C38F28D7CACD.jpeg

On 5/18/2020 at 12:44 AM, Sneakeater said:

In my marriage, my job was to do the washing, since it was clear to all that my wife was by far the better and more attentive cook.

And one of my happiest days was when she explained to me that you don't use soap to clean cast-iron skillets, because you actually want there be a build-up.  Whoa.

I remember way back when I took some time and cleaned my old wok down to the shine.   

1 hour ago, Stone said:

Yesterday I made my eggs in the carbon steel, with some schmaltz.  Non-stick and smooth as glass.  This morning, stick!   
I cleaned yesterday with water and then dried and rubbed in some oil (very little).  I notice that sometimes after rubbing in the oil, the surface is a bit tacky.

could the variable be how cold the eggs were on the two occasions when they went into the pan?

2 hours ago, Stone said:

After washing iron pans in water, I usually wipe them with an oiled paper towel and finish drying them on very low stove top heat for a minute or two.   

1 hour ago, mongo_jones said:

could the variable be how cold the eggs were on the two occasions when they went into the pan?

or even how hot the pan is before putting the eggs in it?  

@Stone Do you preheat the pan and wipe the inside out first withan oiled paper towel  - that may help until you have it properly seasoned.  Don't be alarmed at how disgusting that paper towel might become.

• Like 1