• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't had it in my home bar for a while, but a few ways I've enjoyed it: Ephemeral -- 2 oz Old Tom, 1 oz Dolin blanc, barspoon St. Germain, celery bitters, grapefruit peel garnish Elder

Audrey really nailed that one, didn't she?

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

Posted Images

6 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

The No. 1 and the No. 2 have absolutely nothing in common. So why the same name? I don't get it. 

I usually turn to Professor Wondrich for answers to questions like these, so I dug a few books out and found nada.

But more research, and the Corpse Reviver was basically a morning cocktail, meant to ease the pain of a hangover and get one started on the day. There are many corpse revivers.

History of the Corpse Reviver(s)

The first appearance the Corpse Reviver cocktail as we know it today appears in Harry Craddock’s 1930 Savoy Cocktail Book. Recipes for both the #1 and #2 are printed, for the #1 he instructs it is “To be taken before 11am, whenever steam and energy are needed.”  For the #2, the advice is: “Four of these taken in swift succession will unrevive the Corpse again.”  Ok, good tip. One will do the trick.

But though these recipes have gained consensus as the standard bearers of the Corpse Reviver moniker, references to Corpse Revivers have existed as early as the 1860s, not always as specific drinks, but as a general style.  It makes sense, for much of the 19th century cocktails were considered a morning drink.  In fact, that’s where they get their name, something to “cock your tail up”, which is a horse reference.  You can read more about the origin story in this interview with David Wondrich. The whole thing a great read, especially if you’re a bartender, but for the cocktail etymology scroll down to the end. A warning, it becomes strikingly vulgar. 

The interview with Wondrich is here, where he's interviewed by another favorite cocktail writer, Robert Simonson.

15 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Yes!

1-1/2 oz. Brandy

3/4 oz. Calvados

3/4 oz. sweet Vermouth

(Some say 1 oz. Calvados and 1/2 oz. sweet Vermouth)

Pour into ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Stir.  Stain into chilled Martini glass or coupe.

That says "headache in the morning."

The Penicillin may be Sam Ross's claim to fame as a creator of future classic cocktails.  But my personal favorite of his is the Paper Plane

Pour 3/4 oz. each of Bourbon, Aperol, Amaro (Nonino by preference), and lemon juice into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Shake.  Strain into a chilled Martini glass or coupe.

I buy the pompelmo just for this purpose. I get very cranky when the spouse drinks it WITHOUT tequila.

Speaking of which, I need to buy more tequila. I think I have about 2 ounces left. And I said kaddish over a bottle of Aviation Gin on Sunday night (mind you, I have plenty of other bottles of gin). I feel a order coming on.