Maiden's Blush No. 2

Pour 1-1/2 oz. Gin, 3/4 oz. Absinthe, and 1 teaspoon of Grenadine into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Stir.  Strain into a chilled Martini glass or coupe.  (Those maidens had best be blushing if they're drinking something this strong!)

It's pretty hot in the Bay Area today, so we're having classic mint juleps.  I pressed into service the one Tiffany & Co. item I have, a pewter "Georgetown Cup" that I got via work eons ago.  I can feel my brain melting a bit, though at 2 oz. of bourbon per drink these are not as strong as the ones meant to be sipped all day.

If you want something light, a Roy Howard

Pour 1/2 oz. Brandy, 1 oz. Lillet Blanc, 1/2 oz. orange juice, and 1/2 teaspoon Grenadine into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Shake.  Strain into a chilled Martini glass or coupe.

3 hours ago, StephanieL said:

It's pretty hot in the Bay Area today, so we're having classic mint juleps.  I pressed into service the one Tiffany & Co. item I have, a pewter "Georgetown Cup" that I got via work eons ago.  I can feel my brain melting a bit, though at 2 oz. of bourbon per drink these are not as strong as the ones meant to be sipped all day.

Had my first Paper Plane last night. Another to add to the rotation.

42 minutes ago, Evelyn said:

Had my first Paper Plane last night. Another to add to the rotation.

In a similar but more assertive vein, try Naked and Famous! 

3/4 oz mezcal
3/4 oz lime
3/4 oz Aperol
3/4 oz yellow Chartreuse

The template from The Last Word has legs. Boy howdy.

Because I came into a bottle of Fernet-Vittone, and because I was in the mood for it, I had a Hanky Panky.  Boy is it great.

Evelyn gave the recipe already.  I won't repeat it.

(I was planning on having a Naked and Famous sometime this week, too, as it happens.)

• Like 1

I've told my Paper Plane story a few times on MFF -- but never in this thread.

Although it's a Phil Ward creation, the first time I had a Paper Plane was almost exactly a year ago, on the opening night of Rezdôra in NYC.  I liked it so much I made it my regular cocktail there.  When I was sitting at the bar, I didn't have to order it:  one would just appear before me after I sat down (followed, inevitably, by an unordered Airmail) (followed, inevitably, by an unordered Lambrusco for the antipasto).  But one night, I was sitting not at the bar but at a table.

My waitress was one of the cutest people I have ever had the privilege of gawking at.  But I don't think she was very able.

"Can I have a Paper Plane?", I asked when she came to take my drink order.

"I don't think we do that here," she replied.

"Why not?  It's right there on the cocktail list," I answered, pointing at the entry for Paper Plane.

"Oh, you want a Paper Plane!", she exclaimed.  "I thought you were asking me for a paper plate."

Pedant time. The Paper Plan is a Sam Ross variation on the Last Word. Phil Ward's variation is the Final Ward.

12 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Because I came into a bottle of Fernet-Vittone, and because I was in the mood for it, I had a Hanky Panky.  Boy is it great.

Evelyn gave the recipe already.  I won't repeat it.

(I was planning on having a Naked and Famous sometime this week, too, as it happens.)

I'd made a Hanky Panky at home a bunch of times and enjoyed it well enough, but it wasn't till I had one made for me at The Nomad a few years ago that I realized some cocktails more than others REALLY benefit from a good long stir. Honestly, he must've gone at it for a good minute. I'm typically a little too lazy (eager?) to stir more than 10 secs after letting a drink "cook" on ice for 10-20 secs while I set up the glasses.

Of course, if I'm gonna give a good long stir, I'm going as high proof as possible to offset the dilution -- Hayman's Royal Dock or NY Distilling Co Perry's Tot both do nicely. (And both are nearly empty! Gah!) 

I always stir for about a minute.  It never occurred to me I could stir less.  (Also, I kind of enjoy the anticipation.)

I have to start cracking ice cubes.