I'm using a new piece of kitchen equipment for the first time tonight, and I want to have my wits about me.  So I just had a Forthave Red on the rocks.  I'd have put in the lime slice it obviously wants, but I was too lazy.

It's not just some pretentious cocktalian piety.

Shaking aerates the drink, and also leaves little ice shards in it.  Which is fine for drinks with juice in them.  But kind of undesirable for straight-alcohol drinks like Martinis or Manhattans, which become cloudy and unsmooth when shaken.

I'm such a Philistine.    Rinse my glass with Vermouth, pour in chilled gin and I won't complain.  

• Like 1

A perfect, elegant classic, El Presidente:

Pour 1-1/2 oz. each white Rum and dry Vermouth, 1 teaspoon of Curaçao, and 1/2 teaspoon of Grenadine into an ice-filled cocktail shaker (YEAH cracking!).  STIR.  Strain into a chilled Martini glass or coupe.  Garnish with an orange twist and a cocktail cherry.  (I've never had cocktail cherries on hand.  I just got some really good ones -- Fabbri Amarenas -- as part of my Quarantine Self-Indulgence Program.  Life is better.)

1 minute ago, Sneakeater said:

A Garnish with ...a cocktail cherry.

I bought a jar of "good" cocktail cherries to adorn grandkids' ice cream.    The first time I served one, cherub, who had been raised on low sugar, low salt, fresh and organic fare,  spit it out and said, "Ama, it tastes like chemicals."    

These are the ones we stock.   Maybe not sweet enough for you.    They taste like kirsch.

294777691_ScreenShot2020-05-30at8_24_34AM.thumb.png.6ece6f44a165c7fe84fcf538d8bf610a.png

eta, these are for US, mot the kids.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, Anthony Bonner said:

Wouldn't you rather an ice cold cloudy martini over a crystal clear not quite cold one? 

On 5/29/2020 at 9:02 PM, Sneakeater said:

I dunno.  My Martinis are always cold enough.

Mine too...cracked good ice and proper stirring and a coupe out of the freezer ought to be able to handle the task.

Tonight, I'm pretending I'm in Barcelona.

Partida Creuz's Muz Vermut over ice with an orange wheel and an olive.

(Really, I know I'm still in Prospect Heights.)

• Like 1