6 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Keep on convincing yourself.

The article said shaking is more effective than stirring. It was your link. What do I have to convince myself about? 

Anyone familiar with the Hemingway Daiquiri? Yea or nay?

23 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

So, bloviatrix, how was the Ophir?

It's the Adventurers Edition (bought at Duty Free). Not a ton of Juniper. Cardamon and Citrus. Works in a cocktail.

56 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

BIG yea.

Now you have understand, I haven't drunk rum in 30 years. So you're saying it's worth investing in a bottle of rum. (i'm trying to find ways to use the Maraschino). What rum would you suggest?

YES it's worth getting a bottle of rum.

I think you should get three (cuz I would, wouldn't I?):

For a white, Flor de Cana Extra Dry 4 Year

For a dark, Gosling's Black Seal

For a high-proof that shows you're serious, Smith & Cross

Rum is your FRIEND.

And then maybe a Between the Sheets.

After cursing the name, you'll thank me for this, too.

I mean, not that you'd conceivably care, but I think I'm having a Between the Sheets tomorrow evening.  (Cuz I'm cooking something in the afternoon that will require lemon rind.)

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

The article said shaking is more effective than stirring. It was your link. What do I have to convince myself about? 

It's only universally "more effective" if you think the only reason to stir/shake is to chill the drink.

That's like saying that all the different possible methods and fats you can use for frying are effectively the same because all you want to do is cook the food (or that in baking all you want to do is heat and cook), and that the universally best one is the one that does it fastest.

Dave also has said...

Still, there’s some solid science behind why a martini should be stirred and a daiquiri shaken, rather than the other way around. Both methods chill, dilute, and blend your drink—but they have different effects on flavor and texture that work better with some cocktail recipes than others.

Typically, Arnold explains, when you shake a drink, it will get colder—and thus more diluted—than it would be after stirring. “Banging ice rapidly around inside a shaking tin is the most turbulent, efficient, and effective manual chilling/dilution technique we drink makers use,” he explains. Because flavor perception, and sweetness, in particular, is blunted at cooler temperatures, a shaken drink needs to start out significantly sweeter than its stirred equivalent.

Shaking also adds texture to a drink, in the form of lots of tiny air bubbles. That’s a good thing when you’re making a cocktail with ingredients that taste nice when they’re foamy, like egg whites, dairy, and even fruit juice, and not as good when you’re mixing straight liquor with bitters. Sorry, Mr. Bond.

7 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Anyone familiar with the Hemingway Daiquiri? Yea or nay?

Probably my go to. But I like sours that are not very sweet.

10 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

And then maybe a Between the Sheets.

After cursing the name, you'll thank me for this, too.

Now Cognac is something I have.