10 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

And then a Palmetto.

I avoid anything with Vermouth as the kosher vermouth available in US is awful. You can get much better quality vermouth in the UK and Israel but for some reason the distributors don't think there's a market for it here. Same with Campari, Pims, Aperol, and a bunch of others.

I thought distilled spirits are kosher by right? (For lack of a better description?) Isn't Campari vegan now that they stopped using cochineal?  and its gotta be spirit based at that ABV? Is it the macerating/infusing that is the issue?

13 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

I thought distilled spirits are kosher by right? (For lack of a better description?) Isn't Campari vegan now that they stopped using cochineal?  and its gotta be spirit based at that ABV? Is it the macerating/infusing that is the issue?

No one quite knows. It's available with certification in Israel. In the US, one of the local agencies originally approved it, but then changed their mind claiming there might still be old stock colored with cochineal around (mind you, they stopped using cochineal in '06).

Luxardo Bitter appears to be an acceptable substitute for those keeping kosher and looking for a Campari sub.

Don't worry about a sub for Aperol - it's not worth it.

I have Luxardo Abano which I use as a sub for certain things. Putting together an order from Astor. Will probably buy a bottle of the Bitter.

Being that I've kept kosher my entire life, I understand that there are some spirits that have a grape base which will NEVER be certified. I find it frustrating that there are other spirits that get certification in one country but you can't get it in another one. In that case, I sometimes just decide to buy the product anyway as it's not like they're making a special run for the UK or Israeli market.

@bloviatrix ALERT:

OK, instead of Between the Sheets, I opted for its somewhat suaver cousin, a Three Miller:

Pour 1 oz. white Rum, 2 oz. Cognac, 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon Grenadine into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Shake.  Strain into a chilled Martini glass or coupe.  You can garnish with a lemon twist if you feel like it.

I finished a bottle of Pinot Grigio - no cocktail tonight. Poured myself a class (plastic Solo cup) and drank it out on the street while hanging with friends for the evening play date.

N made this banana shrub a few days ago (really good over the vanilla pudding), and she made a cocktail yesterday with it, 8-year-old Bacardi, and lime juice.  It was a little sweet, so we both added some bitters for balance (she went with Peychaud's; I went with Regan's).

20 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Wonder what @plattetude  has been drinking lately?

Well let's see... Mai Tai yesterday, Corpse Reviver #2 (having replenished my Cocchi, whew), a dual round of Bee's Knees/Gold Rush, finished off my Riviera infusion the other day, have been playing around with fun unnamed combos of Suze, Cappelletti Apertivo, and gin (and also with rye).

I've been trying hard to do something different every day. I think I'm out of steam on that. Oh well.

Have you tried Kina L'Aero d'Or yet?  It's different from Cocchi Americano -- but it's great.

And when you get a Suze/Cappelletti/Gin combo you're really happy with, can you post it?  I'd love to try it!

3 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Have you tried Kina L'Aero d'Or yet?  It's different from Cocchi Americano -- but it's great.

And when you get a Suze/Cappelletti/Gin combo you're really happy with, can you post it?  I'd love to try it!

Not yet! I don't have great buying options here on the other side of the Hudson.

And yes, definitely will share my specs when (if?) I nail something down! It's tough to get a balance where the Suze still comes shining through, surprisingly. But really it's pretty amazing how the Cappelletti tamps it down with it's fruitiness. And the color of the combo is pretty breathtaking.

• Like 1

Right.  That's exactly my problem with Suze.  Either it dominates, or you can't taste it.

(I mean, I love the way it tastes, so that isn't the worst problem in the world.  But then, it's just like, why not save yourself the bother and have it by itself over ice?)

(I can't WAIT to see your recipe!)