• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Posted Images

On 5/24/2020 at 8:30 PM, small h said:

Vodka, tomato water, pickled chard stem, dash of brine. It's either called a Byproduct, or an Anemic Mary.  I am now drinking my leftovers, instead of eating them.

IMG_4131.JPG.3129174c906e7f92f649a15aa14811df.JPG

It's not very good. Needs salt. Also acid. Actually, it may not need to exist at all, but I hate to waste tomato water.

Take two. 1 part tomato water to 1 1/2 parts vodka, wasabi paste, lime, pickled chard stem. Better! Also, I see my desk is pretty crooked!

IMG_4277.thumb.jpg.2d97cc9729e49938869ba6d3dd05a184.jpg

• Like 1

I think I like Robert Simonson's Fair Harvard even more than the plain old Harvard cocktail he based it on: 

Pour 2 oz. Pisco and 1 oz. Vermouth Blanc, with 3 dashes of orange bitters, into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Stir.  Strain into a Martini glass or coupe.  Squeeze a lemon twist into the drink, and then drop the peel in.

Funny to see you do a Fair Harvard! I just saw it featured by Educated Barfly on YouTube the other day.

Tonight’s aperitif: Jim Meehan’s 21st Century. 2 oz tequila, 3/4 oz creme de cacao, 3/4 oz lemon, rinse Pernod. Such nice.

On 6/4/2020 at 3:45 PM, Sneakeater said:

And when you get a Suze/Cappelletti/Gin combo you're really happy with, can you post it?  I'd love to try it!

Okay, here we go, conceived as a Negroni-esque riff (name still tbd):

1 1/2 oz gin (ginny gin, pls; I did Junipero; Beefeater works well too)

1 oz Suze

1/2 oz Cappelletti Apertivo

Combine in mixing glass with ice; stir; strain into coupe. (Also works on a rock, but me, I like keeping the dilution level constant with Negronis and the like.)

47 minutes ago, plattetude said:

Okay, here we go, conceived as a Negroni-esque riff (name still tbd):

1 1/2 oz gin (ginny gin, pls; I did Junipero; Beefeater works well too)

1 oz Suze

1/2 oz Cappelletti Apertivo

Combine in mixing glass with ice; stir; strain into coupe. (Also works on a rock, but me, I like keeping the dilution level constant with Negronis and the like.)

8 drops Bittermens Hopped Grapefruit bitters are not unwelcome.

I have a ton of mint, and it was oppressively humid (if not oppressively hot) out.  So, time for a Southside:

Muddle 6 or more mint leaves and 3/4 oz. Simple Syrup in a cocktail shaker.  Add ice.  Pour in 2 oz. Gin and 3/4 oz. lime juice, with 1 dash of orange bitters.  Shake.  Double strain into a cocktail glass.  Garnish with a mint sprig.

59 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I have a ton of mint, and it was oppressively humid (if not oppressively hot) out.  So, time for a Southside:

Muddle 6 or more mint leaves and 3/4 oz. Simple Syrup in a cocktail shaker.  Add ice.  Pour in 2 oz. Gin and 3/4 oz. lime juice, with 1 dash of orange bitters.  Shake.  Double strain into a cocktail glass.  Garnish with a mint sprig.

Swap the lime juice with lemon juice and omit the bitters and that's what I was drinking this evening. Only, I made mine a double.