13 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Some cocktail books do their recipes by booze ingredient, so maybe one of those would help you. Regan's The Bartender's Bible and the Death & Co. book are just two of them.

And you have the ingredients for a few of my most beloved cocktails!

Yes, mine too. But I thought maybe I'd branch out from my current repertoire of martini/negroni/americano/manhattan/julep/celery tonic/bee's knees.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, small h said:

Yes, mine too. But I thought maybe I'd branch out from my current repertoire of martini/negroni/americano/manhattan/julep/celery tonic/bee's knees.

The obvious solution is to buy more booze.  :P

I would first need to buy more counter! And to fit THAT in, I'd probably have to buy more floor. Stupid finite space.

And not for nothing, but I'm also trying to set a good example for Medium Sized H, about how to not be a hoarder. A metastasizing bottle collection might damage my credibility.

Tonight's cocktail was a mojito. Like @Sneakeater I have a lot of mint on my hands. And it was on opportunity to open my new bottle of rum! I got some covetous looks from the other parents as we hung outside the building.

Let's face it, if you have a lot of mint, sooner or later you're going to make a Gin-Gin Mule:

Muddle 10 mint leaves in a cocktail shaker with 3/4 oz. lime juice and 1 oz. Simple Syrup.  Pour in 1-1/2 oz. gin.  Add ice.  Shake.  Strain into a mule mug over ice.  Stir in 1 oz. ginger beer.  Garnish with a mint sprig.

You know, I think Audrey Saunders might have a future in bartending.

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

BTW, Audrey prefers Tanqueray in Gin-Gin Mules, if I recall.  But I think Monkey 47 was just made for a drink like this.

Was Monkey 47 even around when she came up with that drink?

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

Was Monkey 47 even around when she came up with that drink?

Yeah, I don't think so. Apparently the spirit just had it's 10th birthday. And we know the drink dates back at least to the early aughts during her reign at Bemelmans.

Me personally, I can't bring myself to mix Monkey 47 with anything given it's price. It's damn fine enough for sipping. But... okay, fine, I'll try it, I'LL TRY IT.

• Like 1

I know that Monkey 47 didn't exist in the mid-2000s.  My point (which wasn't clear) is that Audrey specified a London Dry Gin -- which Monkey 47 is not -- but I think Monkey 47's extra funk and flavor provides a better foil for the ginger beer.  (To be sure, the fact Audrey moved over time from her original specification of Bombay to her ultimate choice of Tanqueray because of Tanqueray's additional "heft" suggests she was thinking along the same lines.  So maybe you're right that she might have adopted Monkey 47 if it had existed then.)