This evening, I'm virtually attending a Brooklyn Brainery lecture on the Eight Flavors of Mixology, given by Sarah Lohman.  We got a list of 4 historical recipes and were asked to make/drink one during the lecture, so we're going with The Original Cock-Tail from 1803.  Stir together 1 oz. superfine sugar or simple syrup, 2 oz. choice of brandy, rum, gin, or rye (we're going with brandy), 3 oz. water, and 4 dashes bitters (type not specified), then sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg.  Should be interesting for the historical value at least. 

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Posted Images

Absinthe Frappé

Muddle 6 mint leaves and a scant 2-1/2 teaspoons of Simple Syrup in a cocktail shaker.  Pour in 1-1/2 oz. Absinthe.  Add ice.  Shake gently.  Strain into a rocks glass over ice.  Top with 2 oz. soda water.  Garnish with a mint sprig.

Respect this drink:  it tastes nice, but it's still an ounce and a half of barely diluted Absinthe.

22 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

basically, named correctly - an old fashioned now.

Except there's no ice.  And I got the proportions wrong: it should be 1 tsp sugar/simple syrup, 2 oz. alcohol, 3 oz. water, 4 oz. bitters..

12 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Daiquiri No. 4.

Thanks @Sneakeater for suggesting I reintroduce rum into my arsenal.

And if you wind up with some grapefruit at any point, be sure to try a Hemingway Daiquiri.

Grabbed some pineapple juice yesterday to scratch my itch for a Jungle Bird --

1 1/2 oz blackstrap rum (Cruzan)
1 1/2 oz pineapple juice
3/4 oz Campari
1/2 oz lime
1/2 oz simple

Yeah, it was outrageously good.

For my wife, who reflexively avoids Campari drinks, I did a Bow and Arrow:

1 oz bourbon
1 oz mezcal
3/4 oz pineapple
3/4 oz lime
1/2 oz simple

Both lovely - and I'm a fan of the Algonquin...Wondrich recipe...

1 1/2 ounces whiskey -- rye whisky

3/4 ounce vermouth -- French vermouth

3/4 ounce pineapple juice

cocktail glass

Instructions:

Stir the whiskey, vermouth, and pineapple juice (be sure to use unsweetened) well with cracked ice (if you shake it, the pineapple juice will foam), then strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Truth be told, we find that 2 or 3 dashes of Fee Bros. West Indian Orange Bitters does wonders for the drink. Failing that, a generous squeeze of orange peel will work almost as well.

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

Both lovely - and I'm a fan of the Algonquin...Wondrich recipe...

1 1/2 ounces whiskey -- rye whisky

3/4 ounce vermouth -- French vermouth

3/4 ounce pineapple juice

cocktail glass

Instructions:

Stir the whiskey, vermouth, and pineapple juice (be sure to use unsweetened) well with cracked ice (if you shake it, the pineapple juice will foam), then strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Truth be told, we find that 2 or 3 dashes of Fee Bros. West Indian Orange Bitters does wonders for the drink. Failing that, a generous squeeze of orange peel will work almost as well.

These days, I see most latter-day sources calling for bianco vermouth for an Algonquin. Seems worth an evening of playing with options, bianco vs dry, to find a personal preference. I'm guessing historically, it was dry vermouth, per Wondrich. In fact, a rye cocktail seems to be just the thing for this afternoon's cocktail hour, so there we have it!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Daiquiri No. 4.

Thanks @Sneakeater for suggesting I reintroduce rum into my arsenal.

Oh yes--definitely add rum to your arsenal.  I think we're up to 6 different rums, including a cheaper rum that's the equivalent of white cooking wine.