On 6/9/2020 at 4:19 PM, Wilfrid said:

I have the ingredients for a Rosita (thanks, Stay In!). 

The Rosita is getting more fan mail than any cocktail I've yet recommended:

Pour 1-1/2 oz. Reposado Tequila and 2-1/2 scant teaspoons each of sweet Vermouth, dry Vermouth, and Campari, with 1 dash of Angostura bitters, into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Stir.  Strain into a rocks glass or tumbler over ice.  Garnish with a lemon twist.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Posted Images

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

• Like 2

I am just boring, circling around Martini,  Martinez, Last Word, Negroni with the gin, Manhattan and Boulevardier with the rye.

Need to get the Rosita going and buy some pineapple juice.

It's interesting, but we've mostly been sticking with wine. Possibly due to other things I've been ingesting, as well as the fact that the freezer is so full I have very little ice to speak of. That situation is being remedied, as my deliveries lately have been devoid of most meat/poultry/seafood products and the freezer is slowly being returned to a normal state.

Mostly wine here now too. Mostly because if she doesn't want any, then I can uncork my homemade, which she especially doesn't want (the older vintages run toward the vegetal).

We already did the last 2019 racking but I don't know how we're going to safely bottle it. (Around thirty bottles to forty bottles' worth per person, red and white, half made from grapes and half from juice.)

I've drained my light liquors; on to the dark. I've added a pineapple to our next no-contact food delivery so I can try that Algonquin. I don't remember what I drank at the Algonquin itself, even though I'm sure I was more moderate than I was at the Royalton.

Vinum Nostrum on deck-1.jpg

• Like 1

Been doing a lot of cocktails too, but also a lot of beer.  Those virtual beer fests have supplied us with a lot of product, in addition to the stuff we already had in the pantry.

I have officially gone off the deep end - I'm in the mood for a GinGin Mule but since I don't have any ginger beer I'm making it from scratch using Audrey Saunders' recipe.

• Like 1

A shall we say surprising cocktail, the Chartreuse Smash:

Muddle 10 mint leaves with 1 oz. lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of sugar in a cocktail shaker.  Add 2 oz. green Chartreuse.  Fill with ice.  Shake.  Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice (shaved if possible) (not possible).  Garnish with a mint sprig.

• Like 1

I always keep a Ball jar of simple syrup in my fridge. I don't think I've ever gone through a jar so quickly as the one I finished up tonight. I think it was 2 weeks. That's a lot of cocktails.

So the other Audrey Saunders cocktail I've been craving is the Earl Gray MarTEAni. I have the tea, now I need to pick up a 375 of Tanqueray to infuse.

I don't always keep a jar of Simple Syrup around -- but I have during The Quartantine.  And I too am kind of shocked at how quickly I've been emptying them.

I've always thought the Earl Grey MarTEAni is too much work to make at home.  Even though it's my single favorite Audrey cocktail.

But -- I don't have to tell you this is a reference -- if not now, when?

I did some dead simple "sweetened ginger juice" yesterday (roughly equal parts chopped ginger, sugar, water, whizzed in a blender and strained through cheesecloth), which makes for a very decent ginger beer sub when topped with seltzer. Put that to immediate use in an Imperial Buck:

2 oz blackstrap rum (Cruzan)
1/2 oz lime
3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice
1 oz pineapple
3-4 oz seltzer

Shake all but seltzer without ice. Pour into iced glass, top with seltzer. 

Hits all the spots.

Also, while knocking that back, I learned it was World Gin Day yesterday, so I followed up with:

Eagle's Dream

1 1/2 oz gin (Ransom Old Tom)
1/2 oz creme de violette (Tempus Fugit (technically liqueur de violette given low sugar content, but so so good)
3/4 oz lemon
1/2 oz simple
egg white

Dry shake all ingredients; add ice and shake a whole lot more. Strain into chilled coupe.