• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't had it in my home bar for a while, but a few ways I've enjoyed it: Ephemeral -- 2 oz Old Tom, 1 oz Dolin blanc, barspoon St. Germain, celery bitters, grapefruit peel garnish Elder

Audrey really nailed that one, didn't she?

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

Posted Images

I fucked around with the Oaxaca Daisy a few weeks ago, but tonight I had the real thing.  And the original is still the greatest.

Pour 1-1/2 oz. Mezcal, 1 oz. Cointreau, and 3/4 oz. Meyer lemon juice (I should be concerned about the seasonality of the Meyer lemons I'm getting now, but fuck it, you know?) into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Shake.  Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a Meyer lemon twist.

This is really delicious.

Buy a bunch of the lemons. Juice 'em. Freeze em in 3/4 oz portions in an ice tray. Remove and store in ziplocks in the freezer. Repeat. Also doing the same with lines. I am living off the juice my trees produced last year. Bad news is this year's crops are basically not going to give me anything. So I am keeping an eye out in the grocery whenever there's a sale..

The Meyer trees in my San Jose backyard bore fruit year-round (unless there was a significant frost, in which case all fruit on the trees dropped).  I don't know how they work the trees commercially, but theoretically at least, the seasonality shouldn't be a problem.

We have them in the markets here infrequently. Usually only in the late fall, early winter. You'd think being so close to CA we would get them all year.

I've had these trees for 15 years. I sure wish they produced all year. Unfortunately, these don't. My guess is it's the heat and the watering restrictions. They bloom in March. If the blooms survive the brutal winds and set fruit, it's not 'ready' until October-ish. We usually get one or two hard freezes (or snow) in January or February that makes picking necessary. Last year over the course of 2 days I juiced over 300 lemons - mostly by hand--because of course my juicer died early in the process 😲 and I was heading out on an extended trip for Bama hoops and PGA tournaments the next day. 

• Like 1

I made some Lemon Thyme (no so) simple syrup over the weekend. Made myself a lovely cocktail of gin, lemon juice, the infuse simple syrup - topped off with some seltzer. Light and lovely. Early in the day I made myself Lemon Thyme soda which was fabulous on a steamy day.

Meyer Lemon Blossom

Pour 1-1/2 oz. each Gin and Meyer Lemon juice, with 1 dash of celery bitters, into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Shake.  Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Stick a barspoon into a honey jar and use to stir the drink, thus dispersing the honey.

I thought this was kind of dull.  Maybe because I used that G'Vine Floraison (the kind of Gin mitchells likes but I don't much), on the thought that a softer Gin would make a prettier drink?