• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Posted Images

One thing about the Quarantine is that, for the first time in recent history, people have enough time on their hands to make Ramos Gin Fizzes.

I haven't even done this many sours with such regularity, let alone egg whites. But hell, now, anything goes for variety.

As I wrote in my most recent newsletter when recommending a PIsco Sour, I generally look at separating eggs as an unmitigated pain/bore:  the kind of thing (like shelling fava beans) I'm happy to pay others to do.  But now, what ELSE have I got?

Yesterday I spent the afternoon making freaking orgeat, just because. (Ooh right, Bitter Mai Tai tonight.)

I do have a bottle of orgeat. Will be looking forward to your recipe.

As I wrote in my most recent newsletter when recommending a PIsco Sour, I generally look at separating eggs as an unmitigated pain/bore: the kind of thing (like shelling fava beans) I'm happy to pay others to do. But now, what ELSE have I got?

I’ve been using powdered egg whites. Not always but when I don’t have a use for extra yolks.

I've used really peaty whisky's in this to very good effect. Basically a smoky daiquiri. I would imagine a sour would work pretty well too (I love mezcal sour). 

Today we had gin mules. 

We have a houseguest who always brings something "interesting" from the duty free. So a liter bottle of Seville Orange Tanqueray, as well as a gin based on rhubarb and ginger. What do I do with these? 

I have orange and celery bitters as well as angostura and peychaud's. Cointreau, Grand Marnier. Carpano Antica sweet Vermouth, and a Munich version of Aperol/Campari.  (Somewhere in between.) 

Oh wait, I have an unopened bottle of really good dry German Vermouth. Hmm. Promising. 

What are good proportions? 

Is the rhubarb gin from Whitley Neil? 

Yes, that's the one. 

Your thoughts? I've tried a number of their gins and was underwhelmed.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon making freaking orgeat, just because. (Ooh right, Bitter Mai Tai tonight.)

I do have a bottle of orgeat. Will be looking forward to your recipe.

1 ½ oz. Campari

¾ oz. Jamaican rum (Smith and Cross is perfect to cut through everything, but whatever you’ve got)

½ oz. orange Curaçao

1 oz. fresh lime juice

¾ oz. orgeat

Tools: shaker, strainer

Glass: double Old Fashioned

Garnish: mint sprig

Shake it all! Pour over crushed/pebble ice and garnish with mint. (Or not if you don’t have. Make it work!)

• Like 1

I've been doing a late afternoon for me and my wife pretty much daily since lockdown, and posting a pic on a private Facebook "Quarantini" group. Something different every day. Some days more than one. (But really, moderation! Moderation!)

Pegu Club

2 oz gin

3/4 lime

3/4 curaçao

2 dashes angostura

1 dash orange bitters

Did you spend a lot of time at Pegu?

This is a good thing.   Somewhere, somewhere, I have a recipe that almost makes it easy and is really a good product.

@Sneak - the only problem making the Ramos is the shoulders. And then how quickly it goes down.

I've been doing a late afternoon for me and my wife pretty much daily since lockdown, and posting a pic on a private Facebook "Quarantini" group. Something different every day. Some days more than one. (But really, moderation! Moderation!)

Pegu Club

2 oz gin

3/4 lime

3/4 curaçao

2 dashes angostura

1 dash orange bitters

Did you spend a lot of time at Pegu?

To the extent I spent "a lot of time" anywhere, I suppose yes. I was a low-key Audrey groupie from Bemelmens, then at the brief beacon that was Blackbird. Pegu opened just when my first son was born and that leads to a story that I probably shouldn't tell because it reflects badly on both me and Audrey - ha.

• Like 1