• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Today, when I toasted my wife on the 15th anniversary of her death, I couldn't escape the bald fact that I was really in the mood for a Corpse Reviver #2. I WISH it were called something else.

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Posted Images

20 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Today, happy hour started at 3 pm. Made myself a GinGin Mule. Opihr Gin because I thought a cardamon forward gin would complement the ginger beer nicely. And it did.

Well done. I hate the way work interferes with early happy hours.

A new one to me, which I just love:  the Blind Lemon Jefferson:

Muddle a lemon wedge in the bottom of cocktail shaker.  Add ice.  Pour in 2 oz. Rye and 3/4 oz. each of lemon juice and Simple Syrup, with four dashes of Fee's Whiskey Barrel Bitters.  Shake.  Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a lemon twist.

Drink this and you won't care how clean your grave is kept.

Like its eponymous city, a Toronto is almost as good as a Manhattan:

Pour 2 oz. Canadian whiskey if you have it or Rye if, like me, you don't and 1/4 oz. each of Fernet Branca and Simple Syrup, with 2 dashes of Angostura bitters, into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Stir.  Strain into a chilled Martini glass or coupe.  Garnish with an orange twist (Canadians wouldn't do anything so ostentatious as flame it!).

22 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Muddle a lemon wedge in the bottom of cocktail shaker.  Add ice.  Pour in 2 oz. Rye and 3/4 oz. each of lemon juice and Simple Syrup, with four dashes of Fee's Whiskey Barrel Bitters.  Shake.  Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.  Garnish with a lemon twist.

Think you can come up with a variation called the Blind Lemon Peel? (It's the name of my brother's blues band)

On 7/10/2020 at 11:34 PM, Sneakeater said:

Meanwhile, a day later, I did a Rye Smash, roughly equivalent but for the muddling of lemon wedges with the addition of mint. Suuuuuuuperb and perfect for a sultry day.

Last night, tried a new (to me) low-ABV sipper, Jump the Gun:

1 1/2  oz Cocchi Americano
3/4 oz Jamaican rum (Smith+Cross if you've got it!)
2 dashes Angostura

Build in glass with ice. Garnish with lemon. (Honestly, I almost never bothered with citrus peel garnish at home in the Before Times. Now I almost never won't, as long as I'm stocked up.)

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I think I have even more citrus peels than I do steaks.

And I have A LOT of steaks.

I had so many citrus peels that I made a massive batch of preserved lemons. I got the idea from Einat Admony I don't think I have enough to last me through 2025..