• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Today, when I toasted my wife on the 15th anniversary of her death, I couldn't escape the bald fact that I was really in the mood for a Corpse Reviver #2. I WISH it were called something else.

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Posted Images

Whiskey Smash. How have I never had one of these before? It’s delicious. So much so, that I want a second (although I finished my simple syrup with the first one)

This is really good.  Improved Gin Sling:

Pour 1-1/2 oz. Gin, 1 oz. each of sweet Vermouth and Simple Syrup, and 3/4 oz. lemon juice, with a 1 dash of Angostura bitters, into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Shake.  Strain into a Collins glass over ice.  Top with club soda.  Garnish with a lemon twist.

It's the sweet Vermouth -- not part of the original Gin Sling recipe -- that sends this to heaven.  Such depth of flavor in a highball!

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the gin finback is making on president street once they start selling it by the bottle. you can get it in a gin and tonic at their side walk bar for the time being.

Lots of basil in the gardens right now. So...

Edison's Medicine Cocktail

6 Basil leaves

11/2 oz. Cachaca

1/2 oz. Yellow Chartreuse

3/4 oz. Lime Juice

1/2 oz. Agave Syrup

Shake with ice. Strain into coupe. Float a basil leaf.

But first, I had to try Plattitude's Jump the Gun.  My Smith & Cross was playing hide-and-seek with me, though, so I used instead some Plantation Xaymaca (which, I won't lie, I was dying to try).

I know that nobody here needs any more rum at this point, but that Plantation Xaymaca, if not the awesome value of Gosling's Black Seal, is a mighty fine product.

18 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

But first, I had to try Plattitude's Jump the Gun.  My Smith & Cross was playing hide-and-seek with me, though, so I used instead some Plantation Xaymaca (which, I won't lie, I was dying to try).

I know that nobody here needs any more rum at this point, but that Plantation Xaymaca, if not the awesome value of Gosling's Black Seal, is a mighty fine product.

Ooh. Well, having more than one funky Jamaican rum to choose from is never a bad thing. I will be grabbing up one of those for sure.

As I sit here pretending to focus on some off-hours work efforts, I threw together a lovely scaffa (i.e. room temp) cocktail:

The final remaining oz/oz and a half of St. George Terroir Gin, a scant 1/4 oz green Chartreuse and a less-scant dribble of Ferrand dry curacao. Mannnnnnnn that hits some spots.

22 minutes ago, plattetude said:

As I sit here pretending to focus on some off-hours work efforts, I threw together a lovely scaffa (i.e. room temp) cocktail:

The final remaining oz/oz and a half of St. George Terroir Gin, a scant 1/4 oz green Chartreuse and a less-scant dribble of Ferrand dry curacao. Mannnnnnnn that hits some spots.

l'll never forget Bogey drinking his gin, at temp, on the African Queen. Until, that is, Kate dumped it all (The Gordon's!!) overboard!

Ward Eight

Pour 2 oz. Rye, 1/2 oz. lemon juice and 1/4 oz. orange juice (I used 3/4 oz. Meyer lemon juice -- cuz I had an old Meyer lemon and I'm lazy!), and 1/4 oz. Grenadine into an ice-filled cocktail shaker.  Shake.  Strain into a rocks glass over ice.  Top with club soda.

Reliving a little Pegu Club nostalgia, I just knocked back a Fitty-Fitty. Equal parts gin martini, cold as you can get it. Lemon twist. And drink it fast.

And then have another. (I should have another, right?)