• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

I hopped on the Corpse Revivor bandwagon. Don't shame me but it was the first time I made them at home. I admittedly had to go to the liquor store to buy Lillet.  It was a big hit..... Definitely more

Posted Images

I got some fresh lychees at the New York Supermarket, so I muddled three of them with some lime, vodka and dry vermouth and made a lychee martini, which was significantly less gross than the $4 ones I used to drink at Verlaine during happy hour.

Used up some limes last night:

Pre-prandial round:

Southside

2 oz gin 3/4 oz lime
scant 1/2 oz rich simple 
handful mint leaves

Shake with ice, double strain, garnish with a floating mint leaf

Good use of my... let's call it interesting gin from Jackson Hole, Absaroka. It's rested twice in whiskey casks, heavy on spice but light on juniper. I suppose it's marketed as a whiskey drinkers gin. As if a whiskey drinker wouldn't have capacity to also be a gin drinker. Ha, I say to you. Ha!

Post-prandial round:

Bitter Mai Tai

1 oz Campari
1/2 oz Jamaican rum (Smith+Cross)
1 oz lime
1/2 oz curacao (Pierre Ferrand)
1/2 oz orgeat (Fee Bros)

Dry shake, pour over crushed ice, top with more ice, garnish with bouquet of mint, lime shell, and a good dusting of fresh ground nutmeg.

Having a good old Manhattan as I write this: 1 1/2 oz. Old Forester rye, 3/4 oz. Cinzano, and a few drops of Regan's Orange Bitters, shaken with ice.  We had takeout Chinese that was tasty but contained more fried food than we thought we were getting (plus sublime egg tarts), so I thought I needed something to take the edge off this congealed feeling.

A few recent additions to the rotation:

Rattlesnake

2 oz. Rye Whiskey

1 oz. Lemon Juice

3/4 oz. Simple Syrup

1 Egg White

Dry shake all ingredients. The shake with ice. Strain and pour into chilled coupe.

Rio Bravo

2 oz. Cachaca

3/4 oz. Lime Juice

1/2 oz. Orgeat

3 quarter sized pieces peeled ginger

Muddle the ginger and the orgeat. Add other ingredients. Shake with ice. Strain into chilled coupe. Garnish with an orange twist.

Judgement Day

1 1/2 oz. Pisco

1/2 oz. St. Germain Elderflower

1/2 oz. Lime Juice

1/2 oz. Lemon Juice

1/2 oz. Simple Syrup

1 Egg White

Dry shake all ingredients. Add ice. Shake. Strain into chilled coupe. Garnish with 2 spritzes St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram.

Since I needed to use up some avocados, I decided to make guacamole. That led to the decision there should be a margarita with the lime cordial, instead of a gimlet. Which led me to one of the better margaritas I've made.

Elegante Margarita

1 1/2 Reposoda Tequila

1/2 oz. Triple Sec

1/2 oz. Lime Cordial

3/4 oz. Lime Juice

1/2 oz. Simple Syrup

Shake with ice, strain into chilled coupe.

Thanks again to plattetude for the lime cordial recipe!

• Like 2

Ginger Rogers

1 oz black rum
1 oz cognac
3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz ginger syrup
.5 oz simple syrup
a dash of Peychaud's bitters (I used angostura) 

Shake with ice and strain into a chilled coupe.

Ooh--that looks really good 🙂 I think it will be tomorrow's cocktail. I need to use more of my current batch of ginger syrup before it goes over the hill.

I Woke Up Like 'Dis

1.5 oz gin
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz ginger syrup
2 dashes lime bitters (I used grapefruit)

Shake with ice and strain into a chilled coupe. Garnish with lemon peel.

Meh. I don't think I'll be making this again.

Cocktail recipe FAIL tonight.  N made a B-52, layering Cointreau, coffee liqueur, and Amarula Vanilla Cream (we don't have the Bailey's the recipe calls for) from bottom to top.  It looked great, taste wasn't bad.  Then she suggested we stir the drink.  Well.  The cream liqueur curdled and the whole thing took on a gray cast.  Did we think about the acid in the Cointreau reacting with the Amarula?  Nope.

Apparently, you can use (or maybe should use) Grand Marnier rather than Cointreau.  Next time.

Here's a thing about cocktail "recipes:" they're pretty exacting. I mean, if memory serves me correctly from the days when hanging out at Death & Co., or PDT, or Pegu and seeing the bartenders test new drinks, the difference between how a drink tastes made with 1/2 oz. of an ingredient vs. 1 oz. of an ingredient can be pretty significant.

I think unless you follow a cocktail recipe exactly (i.e. the booze called for in the recipe, the bitters called for in the recipe, and the quantities called for in a recipe), can a recipe be called a failure if it doesn't taste great? Now if I follow a recipe exactly as written, and it still sucks, then I've got something to complain about. 

3 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Here's a thing about cocktail "recipes:" they're pretty exacting. I mean, if memory serves me correctly from the days when hanging out at Death & Co., or PDT, or Pegu and seeing the bartenders test new drinks, the difference between how a drink tastes made with 1/2 oz. of an ingredient vs. 1 oz. of an ingredient can be pretty significant.

I think unless you follow a cocktail recipe exactly (i.e. the booze called for in the recipe, the bitters called for in the recipe, and the quantities called for in a recipe), can a recipe be called a failure if it doesn't taste great? Now if I follow a recipe exactly as written, and it still sucks, then I've got something to complain about. 

It's interesting you say that because I think there's a problem with the recipe for I Woke Up Like 'Dis. It was tart to the point of being unpleasantly bitter. In discussions I've had elsewhere the consensus is that I should try reducing the lemon juice to .5 oz.

• Like 1