An El Presidente, from the Trader Vic’s book: 1 1/2 oz. Bacardi Gold, 1/2 oz. dry vermouth, 2 dashes orange curacao, 1 dash grenadine, shaken over ice and strained. Maybe it’s the rum I used, but it’s a little unbalanced.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

Last night, a Maverick 3/4 oz gin (Beefeater) 3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo) 3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice 3/4 oz lemon handful mint Shake over ice, double strain into

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, StephanieL said:

An El Presidente, from the Trader Vic’s book: 1 1/2 oz. Bacardi Gold, 1/2 oz. dry vermouth, 2 dashes orange curacao, 1 dash grenadine, shaken over ice and strained. Maybe it’s the rum I used, but it’s a little unbalanced.

11 hours ago, Evelyn said:

I use basically the same recipe--except I use Triple Sec. You might give it a try that way.

An interesting cocktail - I looked through many of the (non-tiki) cocktail books on the shelf, and only found it in 2 - Meehan's Bartender Manual, and Wondrich's Esquire Drinks (a true classic). Here's what Dave had to say:

IMG_1864.jpeg.e1f5359a5de36bcbd2f19bd5140b767d.jpeg

So Dave's recipe (then):

1.5 oz. white or golden rum (Puerto Rican or, of course, Cuban) 

.5   oz. orange curacao

.75 oz. French vermouth

Dash of grenadine.                                                                                                                            

Stirred, strained, twist of orange peel for garnish.

Meehan says that Wondrich, a few years ago, found that the French vermouth used back in the day in Cuba was a sweeter Chambéry style. And Meehan's recipe is way different, as he feels that Cuban-style white rums are traditionally aged and filtered.

Meehan:

1.5 oz. Havana Club Añejo 7 Años rum

1.5 oz. Alessio vermouth blanco

.25 oz. Pierre Ferrand dry curacao

.5   tsp. grenadine

Dash ango

Stir, strain, same garnish.

He goes on to say that one great hack is to go to 2 oz. of rum, and dial the vermouth back to 1 oz. And subs Bacardi 8 if one doesn't have a bottle or 2 of the Havana Club.

Oh - my only complaint about the picture of the cigar is that it's an Arturo Fuente, a cigar that was never manufactured in Cuba!

Ah, maybe I should have used the aged Cruzan white rum then, and possibly Cinzano rather than Dolfin.  The recipe I used had a 3:1 rum:vermouth recipe, which tilts more in favor of the rum than the 2 version above.

In honor of National Rum Day yesterday, the Miguel Ligero, from the famous La Florida bar in Havana: 2 ounces Bacardi Gold, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 teaspoon sugar (I used 1:1 simple syrup), 1/2 teaspoon curacao, dash of Angostura, shaken and strained.  A little too much on the side of sour, thanks to all that lemon juice.

I think the recipe calls for 1/2 oz. of curacao, which would be better balanced. And recipes which call for 1/2 lemon are annoying - who knows how much juice is in a particular lemon?

Miguel Ligero Cocktail

1 oz fresh lemon juice (3 cl)

1½ oz light rum (4.5 cl)

½ oz orange curacao (1.5 cl)

1 dash Angostura bitters

½ tsp sugar

Serve in a cocktail glass (4.5 oz)

Inside Job Cocktail - a riff on my beloved Manhattan. Replace the vermouth with Maraschino liqueur and a touch of absinthe. Used my new bottle of  Middle West Straight Dark Pumpernickel Rye Whisky.

• Like 1
On 8/17/2020 at 3:51 PM, joethefoodie said:

I think the recipe calls for 1/2 oz. of curacao, which would be better balanced. And recipes which call for 1/2 lemon are annoying - who knows how much juice is in a particular lemon?

Miguel Ligero Cocktail

1 oz fresh lemon juice (3 cl)

1½ oz light rum (4.5 cl)

½ oz orange curacao (1.5 cl)

1 dash Angostura bitters

½ tsp sugar

Serve in a cocktail glass (4.5 oz)

Either I read the recipe wrong or it was a misprint in the book.  Might have to give your version a try.

Strawberry semi-frozen daiquiri, made with Cruzan white rum.  It was made in a blender, but not with ice--with frozen (and fresh) strawberries from our garden.  I could have a lot of those.

Today, when I toasted my wife on the 15th anniversary of her death, I couldn't escape the bald fact that I was really in the mood for a Corpse Reviver #2.

I WISH it were called something else.

• Like 2

Last night, a Maverick

3/4 oz gin (Beefeater)
3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti Aperitivo)
3/4 oz sweetened ginger juice
3/4 oz lemon
handful mint

Shake over ice, double strain into chilled coupe. 

In the Paper Plane vein of equal parts flavor bombs. Works for me!

(For the ginger juice, I rough chop a hand of ginger, measure, then combine ginger with equal volumes of sugar and water, whiz in blender, strain through double-layer of cheesecloth. Makes a simple base for a faux ginger beer when topped with seltzer. And useful for recipes calling for ginger syrup or ginger in general.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Italian Job

3/4 oz rum (Smith+Cross)
3/4 oz Aperol (subbed Cappelletti)
3/4 oz Byrrh
3/4 oz Cocchi Americano
2 (or 5) dashes orange bitters

This feels like a decent enough idea of a drink but it skews sweet, despite all the bitter components. A drier rum, or heck, even switching out to rye (or hmmm a split base) could be a big help. Otherwise what reads like an aperitif drinks like a night cap. Which, you know, different strokes and all, but left me feeling meh.

• Like 1