• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't even think about undertaking this project - for starters, I have at least 6 of the old-style Rittenhouse bottles.   Shit - the bitters extend to the back of the cabinet!  

My neighbors have been consistently impressed by the variety of cocktails that I'm drinking. It seems I'm developing quite the reputation. Thanks to you all.

Audrey really nailed that one, didn't she?

Posted Images

Looking at a recipe for a white Negroni which proposes Bonal instead of Campari. I can pick that up from a nearby store, but isn’t it dark red? That’s not going to be a white Negroni, is it?

13 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Looking at a recipe for a white Negroni which proposes Bonal instead of Campari. I can pick that up from a nearby store, but isn’t it dark red? That’s not going to be a white Negroni, is it?

You are correct. The typical bitter component for a White Negroni is Suze. You could do Salers if you can find that. But I’m guessing if you can find Salers, you can find Suze.

I’ve seen recipes that call for Cocchi Americano, but that’s way dialed back on the bitterness front, so not so much for my tastes

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

I do not recommend mixing applejack and dry vermouth, no matter what a recipe tells you.

Ah, *BUT*... equal parts applejack, dry vermouth, and sweet vermouth (and a couple dashes of Peychauds) gives you a Perfect Parallel. And that’s most definitely recommended.

• Like 1

After yesterday’s crisis of having no ice which forced me to improvise (amaro abaño, lemon juice, sugar syrup, seltzer), tonight I was able to fix myself a whiskey smash using a pumpernickel rye whiskey. 

Continuing the Negroni theme through the week (it's good to have a guiding hand for a change in what to mix):

Negroni Tredici (Toby Maloney)

2 oz gin (original spec calls for Tanq)
1 oz Punt e Mes
1/4 oz Campari
1/4 oz Cynar
orange bitters

You'd think given how little Campari is here that this would skew less bitter than it does. But yeah, It's got plenty of bitter going on.

Somewhat similar (okay, a little bit) is Phil's (and I find Punt to be a little bit bitter, so there's that) Cornwall Negroni

Garnish: orange twist
Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass.
Source: Phil Ward, Pegu Club (2006)